Rifle break in procedure...

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
picking up the NWTF 'winning' arsenal from Turner's this afternoon. Plan to hit the range this week.
Interested in thoughts on break-in procedure.
Ammo type consideration?
Will eventually be using lead free, but what is best for break-in?

Shotguns have the same consideration for break-in?

Thanks,
-Robert

Yeppers lol, shoot it and practice.
Get it to be second nature.
Practice, practice, practice.
Except shoot what you will be hunting with.
Have fun..
Congrats
Lee

Reactions: TRICER
Robert, i bought a Weatherby a few months back and I still have to sight it in. Never shot a round through yet.
What range or where were you planing on going to?
I thought on finding a place on a BLM away from town and shoot it there.
Let me know.

Congrats on the new rifle. When I got mine a few months back I did (doing) this...
Picked up from Big 5, added scope and hit range, got it at my preferred zero, put 10 rounds through it within a couple hours, mounted it on my quad rack and rode around for a few weeks, went back to range and check zero, still hitting it's mark. I'll do this a few more times before season starts. Good Luck.

Step1- Site it in about 1.5” high at 100.
Step 2- find a manzanita tree beat it against it a few times so you don’t have to worry about the first scratch
Step3- kill deer
Step 4- Clean once a season maybe twice but never take it in the field clean
Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
But some guns can’t handle step 1 through 3.

Robert, i bought a Weatherby a few months back and I still have to sight it in. Never shot a round through yet.
Let me know.
Excellent choice..nothing shoots flatter or hits harder...represent proud!

There are two schools of thought on barrel break in, one comes from the distance past when barrels were bored and rough and they required subtle treatments to make them smooth and compliant and the other is that modern technology says that does not need to happen and you have no break in period because they are slick and ready to go. I'm a man of science so I try to stay current with technology and what it dictates but I don't do this for a living. Certainly there are many different levels of quality out there as far as barrels go so that is more than likely a factor. The next rifle I build I will consult with the builder and follow the advice they give according to what they have experienced. I know the folks at Fine Firearms well and have trusted them for almost thirty years as friends and professionals so I will listen to them when the time comes to build the next one as this science can and does change regularly.

Reactions: BBH and TRICER
Let me know.
Fabian, sounds like a plan brother.
This weekend or next. BLM, PWG, or P2k.
Also, was thinking of planning a trip up to Pala for some longer range sight ins.
I believe they are open to rec shooters Monday and Friday mornings.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Both you fellas need to start at 25 yards, get it sighted in then go from there. Practice a 100, 200, 300.
That's plenty.. for starters.
O ya make sure it's bore sighted properly..
Good luck

first take it out of the box. gently speak to it softly and tell it how much you love it and how sexy it is. then caress it and hold it firmly. LMAO

Seems excessive, so maybe somewhere between this and using it as a 'manzanita' framing hammer, should suffice.

Seems excessive, so maybe somewhere between this and using it as a 'manzanita' framing hammer, should suffice.

Robert, there are experienced people advocating for rifle break-in procedures and others that will tell you to just go shoot it. I didn’t do a break-in with either my Tikka or my Sako and they both shoot way better than I need them to in hunting situations. Just as there have been more and more people getting behind the idea that you don’t need to clean your bore until you start to lose accuracy, I have seen more and more opinions that a break-in procedure is not necessary either. If I was building a custom gun and the barrel manufacturer recommended a break-in, I would do it. But for off the shelf guns, I’d just go shoot. Try different ammos. And remember, if you sight in with lead ammo, make sure to check how your non-lead shoots before you go into the field.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu