Rifle Marksmanship course

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I just took the Four Day Rifle Marksmanship class at Front Sight in Nevada, and I thought it was excellent. The bulk of students in the class were hunters looking to improve their rifle marksmanship. We got plenty of valuable trigger time, over 200+ rounds during the four days:

Day One - Safety review, basic rifle mechanism, slinging/unslinging, loading and unloading the rifle. Then we started shooting from standing, kneeling, and prone with and without bipods. We practiced using the sling as a stabilizer while standing and kneeling which really helped improve my accuracy

Day Two - Zeroed our rifles at 50/100/200 yards, practiced resolving malfunctions, more shooting practice, ended with a fun steel shoot

Day Three - Spent a lot of time collecting data on our bullet drop out to 200/250/300/350 yards, added time pressure to our shooting,

Day Four - More shooting practice from all distances and using different positions, ended with a skills test shooting twice at all distances. Only one student in my class (out of 40) passed as a Distinguished Graduate so he can sign up for the advanced marksmanship course. The rest of us have to go back and take the refresher course so we can try the skills test again :oops:

Overall I thought it was great for all skill levels, but especially for rifle newbies like myself. I feel much more competent with my rifle after four days and I thought the instructors were top notch

Screenshot from 2020-10-12 06-11-44.png

Last edited:
How much was the course? I could sure use it but need to know how much to budget (broke student athlete here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much was the course? I could sure use it but need to know how much to budget (broke student athlete here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't understand their pricing model at all, seems like membership prices are all over the place. A lifetime membership lets you take unlimited classes, but if I were just interested in one class I'd look at some of the class certificates on eBay. They're cheap, just saw one for $30.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu