Rifle question

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

Well I am always on the look out for a new rifle. My buddy is selling 2... 30-06 and a .223 like the picture attached. $500 for both.. No more than 20 rounds fired from them... I haven't bought a rifle in a long time and just starting to research these. I figured I'd get your opinion... what do you think, good deal, pass, spend a bit more and get better??

The 30-06 would replace my pops old Sears brand Ted Williams 20 pound rifle ;-)3006.png

Ask your buddy if you can take them to a range and see if they group. You can see if you like them. If they group it’s a great deal.

Great idea, I will ask him. Thank You sir..... kinda like a test drive :)

Reactions: Goyaałé
Only recommendation is that you ask him what ammo he shoots through them and then buy the ammo as a good gesture for him taking to the range. Just a thought. Other than that if they are a shooter then it's a STEAL

That was my first rifle in 30.06 and it was accurate out of the box at 100 yards. Goof price the only thing was trigger pull was like 7lbs because it didn't have th he accu trigger but over all worth it

Get the Axis II that has the AccuTrigger. You'll be glad you went with the AccuTrigger.

crazy this post popped up, just went in today and did the transfer.... 10 day countdown starts Monday

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have the AccuTrigger on my Savage .17HMR. Nice feature, I like having it, but not a game changer by any means IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am sooo in love with my Savage .17 HMR !!! Freakin' LaserBeam!

I stick with my 243 & 223
QUESTION: How much less is the recoil on .243 down from .308? Looking at Chuck Hawkes Rifle Recoil Table...it seems as though they list .243 as having even less recoil than the .30-30 Win. (Which is downright pleasant to shoot) I found that intriguing. Although I *can* deal with the .308's recoil, I don't find it pleasant since my collarbones both now have "custom bends" to them, shall we say, from prior breaks.

So I find myself more and more considering acquiring a .243... with the thought of replacing the .308 eventually if I decide I like it enough. And I'm starting to like the whole punching heavier than your weight-class concept the more I have been enjoying the .17 HMR. If that makes any sense.

QUESTION: How much less is the recoil on .243 down from .308? Looking at Chuck Hawkes Rifle Recoil Table...it seems as though they list .243 as having even less recoil than the .30-30 Win. (Which is downright pleasant to shoot) I found that intriguing. Although I *can* deal with the .308's recoil, I don't find it pleasant since my collarbones both now have "custom bends" to them, shall we say, from prior breaks.

So I find myself more and more considering acquiring a .243... with the thought of replacing the .308 eventually if I decide I like it enough. And I'm starting to like the whole punching heavier than your weight-class concept the more I have been enjoying the .17 HMR. If that makes any sense.
Ok I like the 17 but I was evaluating the cost of Ammo.
Since I did not reload. And I thought it was pricey.
Now at the present it may be more price effective.
Both the recoil and cost of 223, & 243 is very reasonable. Very popular rounds.
223 will do same or more then the 17 & ammo is at very price value.
Very Little recoil. 243 is a very flat shooting round with a lot less recoil. Than most other rounds
And both are found to shoot.
I have a 308 brush rifle and kicks like mule. However I keep it for a reason. It also a very popular round. And it's my back up.
Most of my deer kills has been with this rifle.
The other reasons I like the 223 and the 243, are very light equipment. And easy to carry
On the field.
Yes the less recoil more fun, and makes me more accurate.
I trend to flinch a little with the

Reactions: TheGDog

If you load your own ammo you could get some 110gr Barnes TTX’s. That will get your 308 recoil down to be comparable to the 243.

I did not reload and that was probably a big factor. But I experimented years ago with Winchester silver tips.
110 gn became to unstable.
125 gn was reasonable stable better grouping but I use it a lot.
150 GN was better grouping.
My objective was to create less
Damage to the meat. And less recoil.
It is well know 168 gn has the best
Ballistics.

Lee
The copper bullet has changed a lot of that.
I’ve been experimenting with my 7rem mag with 120 TTx’s and 162 ELDx’s. I’ve only compared them out to 500 yards so far. With the 120’s at 3320 FPS and the 162’s at 3015 FPS I can use the same dope out to 500 yards. 162’s hold a little better group but I wouldn’t be afraid to hunt deer with the 120’s at that distance.
The 120’s have a noticeable difference in recoil. If you are hand loading you could slow them down for even less recoil.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu