Rio Shot shell Review Today

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Put this review of Rio shells here because it relates to duck & goose hunting.....When I went to Canada last year, I had bought & brought Rio 3 1/2" 1 3/8 BBB.....I had never shot them before and figured this would be a good test on the bigger size honkers (I had always used Kent loads).....The 1st morning was very disappointing. Half the shells didn't eject out of my Benelli SBE 2 and the ones that did, didn't seem like they could kill anything.....The 2nd morning I switched guns to my SBE 1 1/2.....Same results.....And that was the end of that experiment till today.

Went up to MMC to work Yeager and while I was there, I decided I would put some of these Rio's on paper.....HOLY CRAP!.....The 1st shot at 40 yds put the wad thru an 1/2" board!.....The 2nd shot didn't eject all the way and that wad went thru the board as well.....Upon review of the 2nd shot wad that Jacob found was the pellets had stuck to the back of the wad and literally went down range connected to the wad.....Hence, enough weight to blow it thru paper and board.....3rd shot was OK, but out of the 87 pellets that were in the shell. Only 57 were on the entire paper. 12 in the bird. Which really isn't that bad at a duck sized target at 40 yds.

I also shot the Rio 3" 1 1/8 4's at 30 yds and the pattern was very nice and no hang-ups (2nd wad picture).

I've since sent an e-mail to Rio to see what their response is.....A few pix.

ps......Saw these little guys too.....lol

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    436.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    497.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 11
No kidding. I've never even heard of shot getting embedded in the wadding before.

It literally sounded like a slug hitting the board.....And looked like one too.....Their 3" stuff seemed fine.....No doubt something wrong with the wads hardness in the 3 1/2".

Here's the response from Rio today........

Mr. Turigliatto,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding the recent issue that you found with some of our cartridges. If possible I would like to get a bit more technical information from you for the cartridges that you have as well as some photographs that you might have. Please pass these along to me at your convenience.

From the description you provided, it sounds like there is a problem with the wads not releasing the shot correctly. This can happen because the wad is not cut correctly during the manufacturing process, or because the plastic in the hull is applying too much force on the wad and causing it to form a tighter bond around the shot. I will be taking the LOT# and the photos provided and sending them to our quality control manager. We can then work to find out what the problem might have been and what can be done to resolve it.

Thank you again for getting in touch with us and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Brice Jarratt
Customer Service Manager / Sales

Rio Ammunition, Inc.
433 East Las Colinas Blvd., Suite 900
Irving, TX 75039

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu