Road Kill Dinner

nicapopolis

Aug 22, 2013
I made the decision to pass on a lot of young deer this year. Some of the bucks were good, they just could have used a few years. I have posted a few pics of some of the bucks throughout the season.

We welcomed our 4th son in November, so I did all my hunting close to home and always had my bow in the truck.

I really wanted a whitetail, but they went MIA in my spot for the last month and a half of the season. This was my first year hunting deer on this ranch and hopefully I will understand them better next year.

The season ended on 12/31/19. 3 days later on the way to work a lady hit a buck. Sweet.

The boys of course wanted him on their wall.

The antelope around here are amazing table fare. I was surprised to find that the mule deer might be even better. We have almost no sage brush, bitter brush, or weeds for that matter. They mostly browse on grass.20200123_183326.jpg20200111_190534.jpg20200102_082525.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. What’s the deal with the road kill ? Just pick it up or do you need to make a call ?

48 hour report period. State troopers have the tags in their vehicles.

After I got this one I just called the warden. He was off, so he told me to just go into the office. I showed them a few pictures and they wrote me the permit. They didnt need to see the deer, it was already hanging in the barn. I left the office, grabbed it, gutted it, hung it, and then back to the office.

We do have the "Sampson Law". Basically CPW can confiscate the hide and antlers if they determine it to be a "trophy" animal. Most state troopers probably don't care and most wardens would use their best judgement. Most vehicles are plastic these days, not many people are going to sacrifice their vehicle to hit a trophy animal. Dumb law.

Reactions: Lungpopper
That looks good. Way to take advantage of the situation.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu