Rookie

Lew

Mar 15, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I'm Lew, and ill tart by saying that i'm new on hunting, all i have hunted before are rabbits and squirrels, now I want to go for big game, hog and or deer.
I would very much like to try this year. I have been reading and watching videos on Carriso plains hunts, so I would very much appreciated if some of you could tell me what are the steps needed to be able to go walk on hunt on that place. like Permits, tags if needed, etc. Please Let me know.

Thanks So Much

Welcome Lew, good to have ya here.

For Carrizo Plains, here is the rules per the CDFW website -

• Except for special events, access to the North Chimineas Unit is prohibited.
  • All portions of the South Chimineas Unit located south of Highway 166 are closed to all access and hunting.
  • All persons entering the South Chimineas Unit need to have an access permit in their possession while they are on the property. Access Permits are on the website.
  • Please deposit the completed access permits in the collection boxes at the parking area or at the Caliente trailhead upon leaving.
  • Hunting is allowed for dove, quail, wild pig, and rabbits during CDFW sponsored hunts and on the walk-on days listed below while the appropriate season is open.
  • Walk-on hunting access is allowed only from Highway 166 on the following days:
    • September 1-15 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only) - Dove, Wild Pig, Rabbits
    • December 1-31 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only) - Quail, Dove, Wild Pig, Rabbits
    • January 1-31 (Wednesdays and Saturdays only) - Quail, Dove, Wild Pig, Rabbits
  • Hunting is prohibited for: deer, coyote, ground squirrel, waterfowl.
(https://wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places-to-Visit/Carrizo-Plains-ER#9563267-hunting)

Looks like deer you're SOL for on the plains, with hogs only on Wednesdays and Saturdays of the date ranges listed. You'll need a pig tag for those hunts, and it seems like access permits are available on https://chimineasranchfoundation.org/general-access#:~:text=Access Permits: Access permits for,-ER#956390-recreation. That page also has a map, which is great because if you happen to wander on to the closed unit, ol' green jeans can cite you.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places-to-Visit/Carrizo-Plains-ER#956390-recreation also has a PDF of the permit. Print, fill out, drop it in their little collection box as you leave, and enjoy the plains.

Thanks So Much Guys!

My next Question; is overnight parking and or camping allowed?
any tips on walk on hunting would be appreciated

Word..
It is pretty obvious where can you park..
. Don't just park on the shoulder of the road..and camping is allowed in the national forrest designated camp areas or you can find privately campgrounds for public use for a fee.
Read the regs, call the forrest, call campgrounds use the internet for research..

Reactions: Lew
Mason is referencing the Chimineas portions Ecological Reserve which is only a portion Carrizo Plains. There is a third unit of Ecological Reserve that is open all the time and the entire rest of the Carrizo Plains. There is quail, dove, chukar, deer, elk, antelope, hogs if you get lucky, coyotes, protected foxes, rabbits, etc, and LOTS and LOTS of rattlesnakes. Serious about the snakes up there. The geology is such that there is a lot of crumbly rock that makes perfect dens for them and the rodent populations can explode in superbloom years.

Reactions: dhntr48 and MasonP

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu