Ruddy Specific Shotgun Setup

On a morning at San Jacinto when nothing is flying, which would you prefer?

• Stare at the sky and go home empty handed

• Shoot Ruddies off the water with a scoped shotgun

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
I have been thinking about setting up one of my shotguns specifically for Ruddy Ducks. Although I’m not committed to focusing entirely on Ruddies, it would be fun to target Ruddies once in a while. On many of my hunts at San J, there has been an abundance of Ruddies. The main problem I run into is having the Ruddies swim to the edge of my range and then struggling to hit them as they dive and escape. As you could imagine, trying to hit Ruddies with a modified choke on a gun I haven’t patterned on paper has led to many frustrating misses; although I once bagged two in one day on a youth hunt. I am considering switching to a full choke and equipping my shotgun with a scope intended for turkey hunting. I think a full choke and a scope would really help me hit Ruddies on the water, please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: longbowhunter2
And Hunter, if you are serious...Modified IS a full choke shooting steel...You'll be buying a new barrel, if you shoot a standard full with steel...A scope?...I'll take that as the joke part...lol

Don't listen to the non believers, im going with a hevi shot or other lead substitute. 3-1/2mag, red dot sight and bipod so you can lay down. That gives you maximum skip when the shot hits the water. Try aiming low and sluse away. Oh and definitely going to need a aftermarket choke but buy a few and test them. Please check with the makers to see what is best

I’m thinking the question is an attempt at humor, a joke. But I’ll respond anyway. The way you phrased it you are shooting them on the water as they swim into your dekes. That’s real sporting. Nobody eats them as they taste like crap. Never mind, this has got to be a joke. I read it while I was still half asleep and the mind was a little foggy. coffee has cleared my mind and allowed me to see the humor.
Here’s an traditional recipe for them that’s been in the family for generations. - don’t clean them. Marinate them Whole with feathers and guts in gasoline for 3 days. When sufficiently marinated light them on fire. When cool take them as far from civilization as possible and bury them 6 feet under.
I do like the scope idea though. You’ll be the talk of the marshes with a Swarovski 3x18 scope mounted on your shotgun.

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I’m thinking the question is an attempt at humor, a joke. But I’ll respond anyway. The way you phrased it you are shooting them on the water as they swim into your dekes. That’s real sporting. Nobody eats them as they taste like crap. Never mind, this has got to be a joke. I read it while I was still half asleep and the mind was a little foggy. coffee has cleared my mind and allowed me to see the humor.
Here’s an traditional recipe for them that’s been in the family for generations. - don’t clean them. Marinate them Whole with feathers and guts in gasoline for 3 days. When sufficiently marinated light them on fire. When cool take them as far from civilization as possible and bury them 6 feet under.
I do like the scope idea though. You’ll be the talk of the marshes with a Swarovski 3x18 scope mounted on your shotgun.

Everyone I've ever talked to that has eaten one has said fair to great and much better than spoonies. They eat almost entirely plant matter unlike some divers. Market hunters made a lot of money with them, they had organized drives to get them to fly past the gunners.

Reactions: ilovesprig
It depends on where they are harvested from. All of my diver hunting has taken place in salt water bays and ruddys from there and other divers mostly taste like bay mud. Never shot one over rice fields. They may be ok table fare from fresh water or flooded rice. I’ve actually had spoony’s shot in rice that were quite good eating.

Everyone I've ever talked to that has eaten one has said fair to great and much better than spoonies. They eat almost entirely plant matter unlike some divers. Market hunters made a lot of money with them, they had organized drives to get them to fly past the gunners.
You beat me to it. Ruddies are excellent table fare. I couldn’t taste a difference between the two I ate and the greenwings.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Don't listen to the non believers, im going with a hevi shot or other lead substitute. 3-1/2mag, red dot sight and bipod so you can lay down. That gives you maximum skip when the shot hits the water. Try aiming low and sluse away. Oh and definitely going to need a aftermarket choke but buy a few and test them. Please check with the makers to see what is best
I don’t think I’ll need a bipod as many of the blinds at San J are made of wire, I found that I can rest my shotgun on the wire while remaining concealed in the blind.

You imply that shooting Ruddy’s off the water isn’t sporting. I have never seen a Ruddy flying at San J. How else am I supposed to hunt them?

wow a shotgun just for ruddies
now there is someone desperate to just kill something sad

wow a shotgun just for ruddies
now there is someone desperate to just kill something sad
On slow mornings when nothings flying why not bag a few Ruddies? I don’t see any desperation in that, opportunistic is more accurate. You’ve got to hunt what’s in front of you. Everybody would prefer to hunt ducks as they fly into your decoys, but thats not always the case, a little adaptability can turn a slow morning into a great one.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu