Running the trap line 4.26 to 5.6

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I set aside some time over the last week and a half to get the trap line out and try to locate some critters. I was hoping for a skunk or opossum I could keep for a wall hanger to practice my skinning and tanning with.

Last Tuesday I got the line put out with three trap sets. I started off by using canned wet cat food. Every morning going by and checking the traps they remained untouched, after a few days went by I decided to change up my bait to a dry food. Checked back the next morning and i had two traps triggered and the food dish was pulled to the side. At least I was getting some action. This went on for a few more days, when I would come back the trap would be triggered and the food bowl would be pulled to the side and knocked over. When I rebated this time I left a trail from the entrance to the trap all the way to the food dish at the back.

This guy ran right up and into the trap.

I had him, can see his eyes glowing

And then the great escape. He rolled the trap, it was on a slight hill, and he rolled it in the right direction then when it was on its side, gravity unlatched the back door, then he just had to claw at it to open it up.

There he goes

So close. The next day I reset the traps and decided to stake it down, all the rocks made it difficult to stake so I used rocks on top to hold it down. I also gathered some clippings to cover the traps to make it hard for them to access the sides and reach for the bowl.

Yesterday morning I came back to this guy, tore all my cover off while he was in there but I got him. Took a photo and got him released. Didn’t get anything I can keep this time of year but did pick up some knowledge for November.

Was really enjoyable getting to spend every morning in the forest before work. I pulled the traps this morning, This will be a good coon spot when the season opens and don't want them learning to stay away from the traps and going back and telling their friends.

I set aside some time over the last week and a half to get the trap line out and try to locate some critters. I was hoping for a skunk or opossum I could keep for a wall hanger to practice my skinning and tanning with.

Last Tuesday I got the line put out with three trap sets. I started off by using canned wet cat food. Every morning going by and checking the traps they remained untouched, after a few days went by I decided to change up my bait to a dry food. Checked back the next morning and i had two traps triggered and the food dish was pulled to the side. At least I was getting some action. This went on for a few more days, when I would come back the trap would be triggered and the food bowl would be pulled to the side and knocked over. When I rebated this time I left a trail from the entrance to the trap all the way to the food dish at the back.

This guy ran right up and into the trap.

View attachment 39253

I had him, can see his eyes glowing

View attachment 39254

And then the great escape. He rolled the trap, it was on a slight hill, and he rolled it in the right direction then when it was on its side, gravity unlatched the back door, then he just had to claw at it to open it up.

There he goes

View attachment 39255

So close. The next day I reset the traps and decided to stake it down, all the rocks made it difficult to stake so I used rocks on top to hold it down. I also gathered some clippings to cover the traps to make it hard for them to access the sides and reach for the bowl.

View attachment 39256

Yesterday morning I came back to this guy, tore all my cover off while he was in there but I got him. Took a photo and got him released. Didn’t get anything I can keep this time of year but did pick up some knowledge for November.

View attachment 39257

Was really enjoyable getting to spend every morning in the forest before work. I pulled the traps this morning, This will be a good coon spot when the season opens and don't want them learning to stay away from the traps and going back and telling their friends.
Good work trap..
Caught a bandit.. lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu