Salton Sea Blinds and Seats

vbCal

May 18, 2021
Has anyone had luck using panel blinds or mud stools hunting the Sea? My current setup is very mobile but I would like to work towards a better hide considering the effort to drag that gear out to the spots I have hunted the last two years. My biggest concern with some of these blind setups is the depth and softness of the Mud. Has anyone had luck with solutions for this?

Layout blinds are the solution, if the mud is soft enough soon you’ll sink in and be flush with the shore of the sea. At that point you are undetectable until you open the blind doors and shoot!
I like the idea. Sounds like a good way to get eaten by mud though. Lol. Are there any blinds you have found to be particularly effective?

Reactions: sportyg
Hi , I try to be prepared for any situation , The last thing you want Is to realize you left it at home . And at times Someone can beat you to your spot , then comes plan #B or plan #C .... Mud seems to come with the territory and the depth varys from spot to spot . Light and mobile is best . At times I find myself on dry land , others out in the water . And if you don't need it leave it in the truck .

When you cant see your blind location, on your to and from it . You know you did a good job hiding it . Brush , brush , and more brush , how ever you hide . I went to Mendota for the first time , hunted out of the layout blind on 2 trips , one other trip I used a swamp chair and some panels , another hunt I used a four sided panel blind with lots of brush on a dry island . Be flexible .

Reactions: Hunter527
Brush, brush, and more brush makes a huge difference. When I brushed my blind in real well last year I had a mallard pair fly right over my blind at 15 yards. When I was in a crappy blind last year the gadwalls would see us from a ways away and go hang out with the coots instead.

Thanks for the feedback. I have had serious issues with the sinkhole type mud of the Sea. So just wondering if anyone has worked around this. I am guessing placement can help as well.

Thanks again All!

Float tube 20years ago at johnson st north shore,think the access now days a mile walk,your better off getting a scull boat launching by mecca

Reactions: ilovesprig
Float tube 20years ago at johnson st north shore,think the access now days a mile walk,your better off getting a scull boat launching by mecca
Torres - Martinez Indians have that shut down, and they are not f#%king around. Don't ask me how i know.

Reactions: jth
Torres - Martinez Indians have that shut down, and they are not f#%king around. Don't ask me how i know.

Used to hunt that land a lot....Never had a problem, until we went out to our blind, only to find it burnt down...That was the start and quit hunting on the res.

Sure was great while it lasted.

.025.JPG021.JPG006.JPG

Reactions: jth and NBK
I hear mud boots work well out there and there are a few areas that have solid ground but sworn to secrecy by fellow hunters who discovered it.

By the way make sure you check out the new regs. Never knew mil.. and vets get two extra days and some ducks you can now hunt for 101 days other 86 days.. Some bag limits have changed as well me thinks.

Just for clarification, i think the Poster is asking about hunting the actual Sea, not refuge areas ?
Me, I’m not about to take my somewhat expensive layout blind on the actual Sea. Don’t care if there were a million mallards.
Last time I tried to hunt the Sea with one of the old guys we almost didn’t get out of the mud/seashells/quicksand !
Thought for a minute Smitty was going to have a heart attack struggling to get free. He finally had to go on all fours to get out !
I like the layout on the refuge though, but the one I have is waterproof 10 inches up the side.
The only issue would be laying down makes me just want to sleep when it’s slow !

Just for clarification, i think the Poster is asking about hunting the actual Sea, not refuge areas ?
Me, I’m not about to take my somewhat expensive layout blind on the actual Sea. Don’t care if there were a million mallards.
Last time I tried to hunt the Sea with one of the old guys we almost didn’t get out of the mud/seashells/quicksand !
Thought for a minute Smitty was going to have a heart attack struggling to get free. He finally had to go on all fours to get out !
I like the layout on the refuge though, but the one I have is waterproof 10 inches up the side.
The only issue would be laying down makes me just want to sleep when it’s slow !

Kevin,

How about the time Pete's old hunting partner Don fell into a sink hole off of Alcott...The only thing that saved his life were the decoys on his back...Never recovered the 870...Probably in China by now...May they both RIP.

.IMG_0345.JPG

Reactions: skeet and sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu