San Felipe Wildlife Area hunt

dirtriddr

Mar 27, 2018
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Went out to the SFWA today for the CDFW draw hunt. Unfortunately I didn’t get to even get a shot off. Only seen 2 doves that where to far away. When I was leaving I was told only 4 doves where taken but there was still a couple hunters still out there. I did go up into the 2 canyons looking for dove. Still cam up with nothing but seen more quail then I’ve ever seen in my live up near the rocks and cactus. Lots of tracks everywhere of deer and coyotes. There is also a ton of rabbits but we where told before we went out that we couldn’t hunt them. All though I didn’t get any birds I did enjoy the area. If anyone gets to go out there I wish you better luck then I had. 2FE428B8-5E5A-4D50-AF3B-4DAF0DEAB185.jpegA3E9D676-0B3C-49F3-BBFA-7757C167F25A.jpegF24A6C4F-0E1E-414D-BF86-ADDE74FC9E46.jpegCD4894E5-D577-49D5-9688-3BF4DB70DD8D.jpeg4DF8A5F5-F75F-4FC6-B509-9698ADDB0B5E.jpeg9656DA2B-09C4-4C2D-81B5-FA17640AD5F5.jpeg2FE428B8-5E5A-4D50-AF3B-4DAF0DEAB185.jpegA3E9D676-0B3C-49F3-BBFA-7757C167F25A.jpegF24A6C4F-0E1E-414D-BF86-ADDE74FC9E46.jpegCD4894E5-D577-49D5-9688-3BF4DB70DD8D.jpeg4DF8A5F5-F75F-4FC6-B509-9698ADDB0B5E.jpeg9656DA2B-09C4-4C2D-81B5-FA17640AD5F5.jpeg

Nice photos, better luck next time . Have hunter the general area a few times for turkey, dove and quail, have seen a few deer there but never hunted them around there.

That's a bummer. I am having no luck out here in the IV..birds are in 1's and 2's out here..well at least where I am at but I've been trying out different fields and nada. I know I shot one because I saw a bunch of feathers and I saw it go down but I couldnt not locate it. The heat out here isn't helping tho. Idk how long I'm suppose to stay in one spot but haven't found too many spots with good shade. I'm sure it will take me coming out here a few more times before I get the hang of it.

Went out to the SFWA today for the CDFW draw hunt. Unfortunately I didn’t get to even get a shot off. Only seen 2 doves that where to far away. When I was leaving I was told only 4 doves where taken but there was still a couple hunters still out there. I did go up into the 2 canyons looking for dove. Still cam up with nothing but seen more quail then I’ve ever seen in my live up near the rocks and cactus. Lots of tracks everywhere of deer and coyotes. There is also a ton of rabbits but we where told before we went out that we couldn’t hunt them. All though I didn’t get any birds I did enjoy the area. If anyone gets to go out there I wish you better luck then I had. View attachment 40850View attachment 40851View attachment 40852View attachment 40853View attachment 40854View attachment 40855View attachment 40850View attachment 40851View attachment 40852View attachment 40853View attachment 40854View attachment 40855
but that's how you learn bro, when quail opens up don't let out scoop lol, keep it to your self.. oct quail season, you should be able to take rabbits, ?

Reactions: dirtriddr
Lee,

I think everything is draw on that unit...

Jason...Nice cat & dog tracks.

ps...I haven't heard of one good report from there on doves since it opened...Needs water (pond, drinker, guzzler, or something)

That's a bummer. I am having no luck out here in the IV..birds are in 1's and 2's out here..well at least where I am at but I've been trying out different fields and nada. I know I shot one because I saw a bunch of feathers and I saw it go down but I couldnt not locate it. The heat out here isn't helping tho. Idk how long I'm suppose to stay in one spot but haven't found too many spots with good shade. I'm sure it will take me coming out here a few more times before I get the hang of it.

Hang in there and soon it will come. I keep telling myself that. If it came so easy every time it would take away from when we do get something. Today I didn’t even care that it was a zero. I just really enjoyed being out and walking around.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Lee,

I think everything is draw on that unit...

Jason...Nice cat & dog tracks.

ps...I haven't heard of one good report from there on doves since it opened...Needs water (pond, drinker, guzzler, or something)

I was reading the same thing online. Either way I had fun and got some exercise. Made me realize I need to start hitting the gym and to get out and walking some mountains on a regular bases if I ever want to a good mountain hunt. Looking forward to quail so I can get out and start walking and learning more. Identifying tracks and reading signs of the land is something I also need to learn more about. I do know today I had a great time exploring, using OnX and my bino’s so it was all worth it today.

I was reading the same thing online. Either way I had fun and got some exercise. Made me realize I need to start hitting the gym and to get out and walking some mountains on a regular bases if I ever want to a good mountain hunt. Looking forward to quail so I can get out and start walking and learning more. Identifying tracks and reading signs of the land is something I also need to learn more about. I do know today I had a great time exploring, using OnX and my bino’s so it was all worth it today.
And that there is priceless bro ,, I getting fat since I started sitting to much with my projects..

Hang in there and soon it will come. I keep telling myself that. If it came so easy every time it would take away from when we do get something. Today I didn’t even care that it was a zero. I just really enjoyed being out and walking around.

Thanks Jason..I to enjoyed just getting out and learning how to spot the doves. I was worries I wouldnt be able to differentiate between other birds but you start to notice flight patterns and small differences that you can start to recognize. To tell you the truth I did get discouraged at one point..as I sat in the AC of my car trying to overcome the gnarly headache I had from the sun and was starting to cramp up I sucked it up and locked and loaded stepped out took a short walk and landed my first dove. Drove back to another field I had seen cotton tails in and bagged my first rabbit also. All in all I took about 50 shots and landed 1 dove and 1 rabbit..success In my eyes. I got blisters on both feet and probably dehydrated but looking forward to it again!!

Jason, I was at the hunt also. Yes, this unit of San Felipe (Oak Grove Unit) is for special hunts only. I know this because I asked the DFW agent who was running the hunt. Better luck next time. I'm going to post a new thread on for my hunt. :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu