San Jacinto Wildlife Area to Host Quail Unlimited Junior Hunter Chukar Hunt, Sunday, November 14th

Riverside/Inland Empire, I do believe.
What do you think about the bird to hunter ratio? 2 birds per hunter doesn't sound like the kids would get many shot opportunities. Unless they're able to turn up the same bird again after a miss. Do pen raised chukar tend to land pretty quickly after they've been flushed?

for some reason i was thinking San Gabriel did the BBQ for the youth hunt, but i think riverside makes more sense.
2 birds will be plenty. More chukar than are on the WA right now.

Mike,

It could be...I know there used to be a very active chapter of QU there.

ps...WHERE THE HELL DOES OUR UPLAND GAME STAMP MONEY GOING?...2 chukar per kid is BS!

Mike,

It could be...I know there used to be a very active chapter of QU there.

ps...WHERE THE HELL DOES OUR UPLAND GAME STAMP MONEY GOING?...2 chukar per kid is BS!
QU is providing the birds. Maybe people complaining about 120 free chukar for the kids would want to donate to QU so they can buy a few more?

I work with this chapter of QU every year doing snake aversion training and sharing the proceeds. I can tell you that I have the utmost respect for the members and have been told the story over the past fifteen years how the membership continues to shrink and the only ones doing the work are the old school guys. Step up you lazy ass newbies or see this and what they try and do go away. The membership fee's are cheap and you don't need to be active but without money it exists no more. These folks are the real deal. Maybe if you came down and joined and helpd some of them they might show you a spot or two. Funding is key to these organinzations staying alive and I can tell you if they have the funding they can do great things. $100 bucks once a year would help immensily. What's a quail a hunt once year worth to you ? Send them a couple bucks a year or watch it all go away.. P.S. Chukars are about $10 bucks a piece right now for all you whiners who are complaining about the birds being provided. QU Riverside/ Inland empire folks are rock stars so shut up and help them..

These chukars are not bought by QF....Pheasants are normally provided by the state from monies collected from our upland stamp...Just like pheasant that are released on the Heritage Fields...There used to be a 1,000 birds released in the IV...Now, it's barely a 100...Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there's none there either this year.

No family hunts with pheasant this year either on San J.

Sounds like a fun mourning for the KIDS even if it's one bird,nice there's organization putting on events for the youth,be a good opportunity for 527 to show up and take 60 kids up the mountain for a guaranteed quail hunt

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun mourning for the KIDS even if it's one bird,nice there's organization putting on events for the youth,be a good opportunity for 527 to show up and take 60 kids up the mountain for a guaranteed quail hunt
They meet for the chukar hunt at 6, anyone who wants to go needs to let me know before then, so we can be up there at first light.

Are you talking about the mountains at SJ for the guaranteed quail hunt?

There's no guaranteed quail hunt....This is a plant, seek, and shoot pen raised chukar...Nothing more, nothing less...Just show up with your youth hunter at the San Jacinto W.A. headquarters in the morning.

Are you talking about the mountains at SJ for the guaranteed quail hunt?
No, there was going to be a mountain quail hunt in San Bernardino Mountains. Unfortunately the guide is worn out from trying to find a big old buck today and can’t handle any more brush busting for at least a couple weeks. The Chukar hunt should be fun for the youngsters anyways.

• Dislike
Reactions: garlicsalt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu