Santa Barbara area

Tonyshell

Apr 16, 2019
How are y’all doing I’m new on the site. I was wondering if anyone does any amount of deer hunting in the large portion of los padres nf straight east of Santa Barbara. I can’t find any amount of deer info about it (which is a really good thing or a really bad thing) but it look rough and like good glassing country which I love. I primarily hunt d16 and a few trips trips to vandenberg. Wondering if I should spend my scouting trips on it or move further north. If anyone has any questions about d16 I’m more then happy to help and if any one can shed some light on the Santa Barbara area that would be great.

From what ive been told
..that area is nearly void of deer..you would be better off spending your time in D16 where there are way more deer and less hunters...my opinion..

There's one single guy that has killed just about every forky up that way...Plenty of 3x3's though....:blush:

ps...Welcome to SCH...Could use some of that "16" intel...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: HATCHET1
Steve..i hate that guy!! And yes welcome Tony!

He'll never out live that one..thats for sure..damn shark tank around here..nothing is sacred..nothing..
** and that was documented on film for all to see** Tip for the F.N.G.S..if its not documented on film for the whole world to see on the interweb..it never happened!!

Last edited by a moderator:
On a more serious note, yes there are deer in that area, but I would expect general consensus is that densities are a lot lower than vandenberg. It’s a tough place to hunt, and gets a significant amount of pressure anywhere with halfway decent access.

I heard that guy only hunts from the truck. If you go way back you might see something.
welcome to the Tony.

My son goes to school at UCSB and I was just up there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't a lot of the land "straight east of Santa Barbara" burn the year before last? It sure looked like it...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu