Savage\ Steven’s 511

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Anyone own or have experience with these? I’ve got one on the way in 20ga and plan to do a little resto project with it.

I have the 311, which is a very slight upgrade [I believe] from the 511. Very durable, workhorse type of shotgun. Nothing fancy at all but it is not finicky, as some side by sides are. Easy to get parts in case of repair. I think you'll enjoy it.

Reactions: CLarson757
I have the 311, which is a very slight upgrade [I believe] from the 511. Very durable, workhorse type of shotgun. Nothing fancy at all but it is not finicky, as some side by sides are. Easy to get parts in case of repair. I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the info. I just hope this seller doesn’t back out because he doesnt want to ship to CA. I though this gun could be a cool little project to tinker with.

Even if the barrels are Imp Cylinder and Modified?....Do they only come in Full & Modified?

I’ve been shooting bismuth also. But I have always heard that steel shot and full chokes are a no go. I don’t think it’s as much of an issue on the IC or M chokes.

I just loaded some bismuth for my vintage .41, 16, and 12. I shot steel thru an old, old Mossberg with cylinder bore and you could see the streaks the shot left and they would not come out. Google "Vintage shotguns and steel shot" and you'll get some good data.

I’ve been shooting bismuth also. But I have always heard that steel shot and full chokes are a no go. I don’t think it’s as much of an issue on the IC or M chokes.

Dr,

It's no issue with IC & Mod...Definitely a no go in a full choke...I actually think some of the older barrels are stronger than some of the newer stuff.

Just did a quickie Google and as Steve suggested above, it seems to come down to this: Some shotguns were made with steel that can withstand steel shot if chokes are not full or improved modified but MOST vintage shotguns can't handle steel regardless of choke. Please Google and do some research before shooting steel thru an older shotgun. And the definition of "vintage" is not exact. For me, it means prior to 1960. My vintage shotguns are 1910 thru 1955. I load bismuth [just now reloaded for my old .410] for my vintage shotguns. My 311 is 1958 so it will shoot only bismuth. Another problem with vintage side by side shotguns is that the most common choking is M/F. I've owned dozens of vintage side by sides and 90% of the American made models were M/F and 90% of the European models were either F/F or F/extra full.

Just did a quickie Google and as Steve suggested above, it seems to come down to this: Some shotguns were made with steel that can withstand steel shot if chokes are not full or improved modified but MOST vintage shotguns can't handle steel regardless of choke. Please Google and do some research before shooting steel thru an older shotgun. And the definition of "vintage" is not exact. For me, it means prior to 1960. My vintage shotguns are 1910 thru 1955. I load bismuth [just now reloaded for my old .410] for my vintage shotguns. My 311 is 1958 so it will shoot only bismuth. Another problem with vintage side by side shotguns is that the most common choking is M/F. I've owned dozens of vintage side by sides and 90% of the American made models were M/F and 90% of the European models were either F/F or F/extra full.

Is bismuth a safer option al around then in most cases? I can shoot target loads at clay birds but if possible I’d like to take some birds or rabbit with it.

Bismuth is completely safe. It is actually softer than lead [I believe] so it is usually mixed with about 7% tin. Also, if you bite into a piece of shot it won't break your tooth. Costs a lot, though, maybe 17 bucks a pound for shot, so even if you reload, it will cost about 1.30 per shell. I don't shoot that many rounds with my vintage shotguns so an afternoon in the field, hunting quail or pheasants or waterfowl, will only cost me 15 bucks, if the shooting is good. If you hunt doves and hit the jackpot, you'll go broke shooting bismuth.

Bismuth is completely safe. It is actually softer than lead [I believe] so it is usually mixed with about 7% tin. Also, if you bite into a piece of shot it won't break your tooth. Costs a lot, though, maybe 17 bucks a pound for shot, so even if you reload, it will cost about 1.30 per shell. I don't shoot that many rounds with my vintage shotguns so an afternoon in the field, hunting quail or pheasants or waterfowl, will only cost me 15 bucks, if the shooting is good. If you hunt doves and hit the jackpot, you'll go broke shooting bismuth.

I got a bulk deal on some 20ga hevi bismuth #6 shot. It’s awesome so far. Been shooting in my benelli ultralight and it does get a little dirty inside but nothing a quick clean won’t fix.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu