Saw a big kitty today

Kellendv

Dec 26, 2013
I went out in D16 to pull a cam today. Glassed the area at first light looking for the buck I let walk last year, only found a doe and fawn, they were very wary all morning and finally bedded about 50 yards in front of my camera. When I got down there I was intentionally being pretty noisy to spook them, they kind of refused to leave but eventually blew out and up over a hill. I walked into my cam and took it down and a few moments later I glanced back at the hill and saw something moving across the hill left to right in the direction the deer went. My first thought was coyote. But I saw the tail and immediately knew it was a lion. I threw up my 10’s and watched her and thought I wouldn’t have time to get photos/video but then she stopped. I ranged her at 230 yards. I quickly got out my tripod and my 15’s and got my phone attached and was able to get some good photos and video. She moved up the hill again and stopped again and I started to get my spotter out but she went over the hill. I don’t know if I interrupted her hunt, or if I revealed the deer to her when I spooked them. Pretty cool encounter!

1CFE2607-536D-4346-9726-3625D71603B9.jpegCD00B336-097C-49A0-91BC-4C4433A79B1F.jpegB281ACD4-4AAE-4780-9E26-269B5A20ED9A.jpeg7A8E9982-37A8-446B-9E5B-62631A1CDBC1.jpeg

I seem to recall I can’t just post a video from my phone.... do you have to use YouTube or something?

been a lot nicer if it was on the ground.... if ya need me to explain then well I think ya get the hint...LMAO

Great pix & experience...I feel so cheated not ever seeing a lion in the wild...All you guys are so lucky...lol

Sorry to hear your story, they are a species that because of non science laws are being left to decimate our wildlife and continues to unbalance what the bioigists are trying to do. I've said it before and I will say it again when we came here and became predators we also inherited the responsibility to manage the game we pursue. The goverenence of this state is not using that science to keep the wildland population of animals healthy. Stand on your feet and fight or die on your knee's. The back country of this state voting population out weigh's the city populace vote wise but we do nothing to unite. organize or die...

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Beautiful beast.
When I hear 230 yards, I immediately think .6 Mil of drop.

Drew, I also like that they’re out there. I like hunting in a fully functioning ecosystem with everything up to and including apex predators. Snake Charmer, I 100% agree with you too. It bothers me deeply that we have this wildly successful conservation system in the US and people decide they’re going to ignore that system and take control from the experts and outlaw the harvest of a specific animal because they don’t agree with the reason for killing that animal. The foundation of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation is the biologists and scientists assessing the health of the populations. Take that control from them and the whole thing is fouled.

Reactions: oscar and TRICER
I went out in D16 to pull a cam today. Glassed the area at first light looking for the buck I let walk last year, only found a doe and fawn, they were very wary all morning and finally bedded about 50 yards in front of my camera. When I got down there I was intentionally being pretty noisy to spook them, they kind of refused to leave but eventually blew out and up over a hill. I walked into my cam and took it down and a few moments later I glanced back at the hill and saw something moving across the hill left to right in the direction the deer went. My first thought was coyote. But I saw the tail and immediately knew it was a lion. I threw up my 10’s and watched her and thought I wouldn’t have time to get photos/video but then she stopped. I ranged her at 230 yards. I quickly got out my tripod and my 15’s and got my phone attached and was able to get some good photos and video. She moved up the hill again and stopped again and I started to get my spotter out but she went over the hill. I don’t know if I interrupted her hunt, or if I revealed the deer to her when I spooked them. Pretty cool encounter!

View attachment 41418View attachment 41419View attachment 41420View attachment 41421

I seem to recall I can’t just post a video from my phone.... do you have to use YouTube or something?
yes save it on youtube then share copy link and paste

Out in D19 today helping my buddy with his tag, glassed another lion... didn’t get pics this time. That’s 2 for 2 this week, days in the field to lion sightings.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu