Scent Control

ttrose

Nov 26, 2013
San Diego
Scent control is at the top of many a list when it comes to improving your odds at taking a mature animal. Like most of you I don't have an unlimited budget (my wife seems to but that's another topic). I do my best and wash all my hunting clothes with a de-stink laundry soap (I like dead down wind and baking soda). But that is not enough to fool an older mature buck. I hunt the wind and use whatever the good Lord provides in the wild (I got this from one of the more seasoned hunters on this site...longbowhunter perhaps). Yesterday I pulled off a bunch of pine needles, picked a lot of sage and found some green acorns. Tip on the acorns...The older you get the more you use glasses. Take all those extra draw string soft cases and stuff them with acorns. Smash them with a hammer to release the oils and toss them in your gear bag. Works great. Basically I use whatever I can find in the wild to improve my odds. What do you guys use to cover your scent? This is my gear bag with pine needles and sage.Scent - Control.jpg

TTrose good luck to you man, I wish you the best luck this year.
we do what we can to enjoy our our sport while we can sister

I sense my years are coming to end in this sport.. but I have never regretted, since I started..
I have many years and enjoyed every time I been outdoors..
follow your instincts brother, one good out of the technology
is we are able to share our experiences, and knowledge.. take an run with it ...

Last edited:
does not work at all! That exhaust stack we all have lets out so much scent that its like trying to make a shit factory smell better with a fabreze wipe. With your other scents that ride with the cover scents that are already present. prey critters are expert at picking it out.

i will say that strong odd scents, ones they do not smell often will trigger a curious response and might give you a split second window for a shot

Thank god ducks cant smell :)

Reactions: TRICER
The problem you have is that the deer can differentiate between all those smells in your bag when you can only smell the stronger ones. Cover scents are not going to fool a big buck that is down wind of you. I handled a police K9 for 8 years. We (training) and drug dealers were always trying to fool their noses... couldn't be done. A deers nose is arguably much stronger at detecting scent than a dogs nose. Do whatever you can and feel good about... then try to stay down wind. Ed F

Problem for me with scent control is what do I do day 2 and on by that point I smell. Maybe back east where you are in and out of the stand it could give you a slight edge. But for how I hunt it’s wind all day.
Like Ed said we all do things that give us confidence the mental part of hunting is huge do what you think helps because it won’t hurt.

Reactions: msailor
Lol your the man hatchet.. like your style..

For the rest of you unbelievers, just kidding here is the scoop on Ishi.
Some interesting reading..
I don't blame you because you just don't know. My ancesters hunted these woods for centuries..
The new kids on the block lol

Reactions: sportyg and Jred
Also..while i agree chance favors the pre pared mind, im a huge beliver that overthinking will cave a guy when its time to actually kill a mammal..seen grown men curl up into a little ball and gently nibble there gun strap...it really is a vicious circle...uggh.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Love me some ishi lee!! All B.S. aside...good stuff.

Dam boys you need to work on your aiming...... Didn't you Mama teach you not to shoot something running away from you in the Ass lol..
Just kidding.
Those are nasty wounds...holy crap..

Hatchet, You continue to lead me to laughter with every post you make LOL.. Ishi had it going on big time... The very last of those who really knew how to live off the land and through his teachings taught us better. It does'nt get any more primtive and of knowledge than him...

Hatchet, You continue to lead me to laughter with every post you make LOL.. Ishi had it going on big time... The very last of those who really knew how to live off the land and through his teachings taught us better. It does'nt get any more primtive and of knowledge than him...
Yep...just keeping it real, ishi would be a dude i would wanna hang with.

Yea, He knew how to eat off the land better than us in his own terrain will ever know. Imagine roaming from the hills to the sea every season to pick apart what was best to have ( abalone, fish, clams, vension, rabbits, birds, not to mention greens and seeds. We would all be healthier and live longer given to his lifestyle...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu