Scent masking, scent attractant

ratz

Feb 17, 2011
My cammo has been airing out for a week now, but I was thinking about some Acorn scent, earth scent, or Smoke scent, as a masking agent. I'm not 100% on the scent killer product.
Opinions?

Also during rut, there is doe urine/ doe in heat, but i have read on the bottle that it is White tail attractant, does it matter? is there any for Mule Deer?

Just my opinion but adding scent would be the worst thing to do. Scent killers help but wont eliminate all scent. Play the wind to your advantage. There are Mule Deer scents available but I havent used them for a few years and didnt have any success with them.

Edit....I do rub my hands and hat on sage and other available brush when in the field to help mask any scent I may be carrying in.

Cover yourself in doe urine head to toe trust me it works! Use it as a tooth paste, they can really smell your breath.

Just kidding to each their own I hunt with guys who carry their gear in special bags get dressed in the blind, other guys roll in sage, another guy puts urine on his shoes. I just play the wind.

Last edited:
I keep all of my hunting clothes in a huge tupperware "dirt box." I only put sage and pine from the areas I hunt in the box. If clothes need washing I do it with a scent away type product then I put them in the box with the ozone generator then back to the sage/pine/dirt. Spray bottom of boots with scent mask before heading to your spot. I've even drug musk glands on strings behind me but I got tired of dealing with them. Hope this helps.

I generally walk in fresh cow shit on the way out. Sometimes I use evolve on my boots only. but I usually just get dressed and jump in my truck and go. I often wear the same jacket 3 or 4 times out before I wash it. No special bags or soap . I get home throw it on the office floor and grab it a week later and go hunt. Learn good wind skills and you will get close to deer. If your wind is not right you are not Bow Hunting.

The native Americans would not eat meat two days in a row before a hunt. and would go to a sweat lodge and clean out their system. they would hunt in groups.they would use the natural scent from the area. they had to get close. they hunted slow and covered them self's well as to conceal them self's. they were expert ambush artist & expert trackers. they learned the natural habit of the animals they were in pursuit. and they used the wind in their favor.

everyone has their own ritual ... Here is kinda what mine looks like.

My hunting clothes gets washed with the regular laundry then moved to garage "man cave".... get to deer camp the day before, get the fire going, kickback with the buddies, drink a few cold ones and talk some smack. Get dressed into hunting gear, crash out and wake up and go hunt.

Play the wind game / stealth game... step on some donkey shizz if it's near on my walk in, maybe grab a few deer dropping and put them in my back pocket for good luck ;-) . I've had many doe pass by me at 10 yards and not even see me, unlucky me no bucks have crossed my path yet..

That is my story and i'm sticking to it.... Good Luck

My morning ritual of having a jug of coffee and some wintergreen Cope probably doesn't help any.. but I just play the wind like everyone else. Which can be tough when working small valleys where winds can swirl or even change direction during the fall. Also watch for skylining ridges and how the sun plays on you in the mornings.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu