Scouting the "A"

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Not the mighty A Zone, but X9-A....After Josh got drawn with "Only" 4 points, we headed up last Monday and camped at McGee Creek....The 1st evening we went north and started scouting high...In short order, we started seeing deer...Nothing big, but at least 3 bucks amongst does and fawns...We then made a major move across the valley...After a brutal, steep, rocky, long drive, we were at a peak glassing...Nothin'...Headed back to camp and fired up the Jet Boil...Chili mac bean was ready in short order...Delish!

Tuesday, we started the next morning closer to home and started putting boots on the ground...Roads can get you closer, but the deer we were spotting were high...Speaking of glassing...This old dog found out quickly, my Swarvo's are easy on the eyes, the Vortex spotter is strong, but the Josh's Kaibab 15's on a tripod were the ticket...We had a great morning and found a lot of deer...By 10:00 am, it was getting warm...Mammoth and June Lake areas were a zoo...Tried fishing Rush Creek, but apparently, they're (DFW) not planting...Headed back to camp...It was here where Josh had a special moment...He walked down to Magee Creek to see if he could see any trout, while cooked up lunch...All of a sudden, he comes hot footing back up, totally freaked out...He had just stepped in the middle of a 4 foot rattler...He's now checking his legs, boots, to see if he got hit...Nothin'...We both go down to the area and never find him...Lucky!

The evening scouting was special...We went into areas I had never been before on both sides of the valley...The maze of roads is incredible...If you ever get drawn for this zone...Your truck and tires better be solid (we had a new Dodge Ram with new tires)...We spotted up at least 14 bucks along with numerous does and fawns...The biggest buck we saw was in the the mid 20's (3x3)...Back to camp and Chinese Jet Boil...lol

The last morning we headed south and off the plateau above Sherman Grade...Big country and a spot I liked when I lived in Bishop...I was determined at 73, I was going to make it up that mountain to where I had a shot a buck 40 years ago (1981)...Took a bit, but I made it...There had been a fired near by, but basically looked exactly the same...We only saw one buck, but while I was glassing down hill, Josh comes down to me and says...Hey, there's one right below you...Hold it, it's not a deer, it's a bear!...Big old bruin and chocolate at that...Bitchin'

We stopped at Schat's Bakery, JB's, and headed home...Great little trip...Pic heavy

ps...So when I got back to the truck on our last scout and taking a piss...I look down, and there's a coin...A 1981 nickel...What are the odds?...lol

.IMG_2439.JPGIMG_2479.JPGIMG_2480.JPGIMG_2507.JPGIMG_3739 (1).JPGIMG_3823.JPGIMG_3749 (1).JPGIMG_3844.JPGIMG_2524.JPGIMG_3805.JPG

Last edited:
Love that area and love hunting that unit! Good luck and looking forward to seeing how you do.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Had me at sage hen!!!! Great report stevo as usual!

Reactions: Kellendv
Good stuff Steve. Love the Eastern Sierra’s. That’s a good bear hope Josh picks up a bear tag just incase they cross paths again in September.

Nice to see someone get drawn in the random!

15's on your neck if you go deep!

Might be a 500yd shot so practice.......and don't shoot the bear untill you filed the deer tag!
That bear is a 4 load pack out or get a packer in the area.

Not the mighty A Zone, but X9-A....After Josh got drawn with "Only" 4 points, we headed up last Monday and camped at McGee Creek....The 1st evening we went north and started scouting high...In short order, we started seeing deer...Nothing big, but at least 3 bucks amongst does and fawns...We then made a major move across the valley...After a brutal, steep, rocky, long drive, we were at a peak glassing...Nothin'...Headed back to camp and fired up the Jet Boil...Chili mac bean was ready in short order...Delish!

Tuesday, we started the next morning closer to home and started putting boots on the ground...Roads can get you closer, but the deer we were spotting were high...Speaking of glassing...This old dog found out quickly, my Swarvo's are easy on the eyes, the Vortex spotter is strong, but the Josh's Kaibab 15's on a tripod were the ticket...We had a great morning and found a lot of deer...By 10:00 am, it was getting warm...Mammoth and June Lake areas were a zoo...Tried fishing Rush Creek, but apparently, they're (DFW) not planting...Headed back to camp...It was here where Josh had a special moment...He walked down to Magee Creek to see if he could see any trout, while cooked up lunch...All of a sudden, he comes hot footing back up, totally freaked out...He had just stepped in the middle of a 4 foot rattler...He's now checking his legs, boots, to see if he got hit...Nothin'...We both go down to the area and never find him...Lucky!

The evening scouting was special...We went into areas I had never been before on both sides of the valley...The maze of roads is incredible...If you ever get drawn for this zone...Your truck and tires better be solid (we had a new Dodge Ram with new tires)...We spotted up at least 14 bucks along with numerous does and fawns...The biggest buck we saw was in the the mid 20's (3x3)...Back to camp and Chinese Jet Boil...lol

The last morning we headed south and off the plateau above Sherman Grade...Big country and a spot I liked when I lived in Bishop...I was determined at 73, I was going to make it up that mountain to where I had a shot a buck 40 years ago (1981)...Took a bit, but I made it...There had been a fired near by, but basically looked exactly the same...We only saw one buck, but while I was glassing down hill, Josh comes down to me and says...Hey, there's one right below you...Hold it, it's not a deer, it's a bear!...Big old bruin and chocolate at that...Bitchin'

We stopped at Schat's Bakery, JB's, and headed home...Great little trip...Pic heavy

ps...So when I got back to the truck on our last scout and taking a piss...I look down, and there's a coin...A 1981 nickel...What are the odds?...lol

.View attachment 49911View attachment 49914View attachment 49915View attachment 49916View attachment 49917View attachment 49918View attachment 49919View attachment 49920View attachment 49921View attachment 49922
When I look down while pissing, all I ever see is …piss. . Great off-season report Steve. Fall will be good to you guys because the harder you work, the luckier you get.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu