Scouting

Cgruwell05

Oct 11, 2014
Escondido
Saw this while scouting. I see the turkey tracks but does the line on the left side look like a wing strut marking??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
Chad,

Definitely a possibility, because it looks like there's a matching one on the other side....Was that the only place?.....If so, probably not........Well used road

Only one that I saw and yes definitely a highly traveled trail. Plenty of tracks, but only in a small area. How did day one of the Jr Hunt go?

3 turkeys taken.......1 big tom, 1 jake, and 1 bearded hen.......Most everyone had an opportunity at a shot and heard or saw gobbler.......Real fun day.

How cool is that. Sounds like there is a lot of birds out there! Lots of really great spots to hunt on Public Land, Just need to take a walk

Here's a really nice strut zone we found yesterday evening. And in public land.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Speaking of signs.......Way more gobblers were seen than we thought we'd have on preserve........Here's a few pix from the preserve & surrounding area.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    776.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    395.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 17
I have a question about Mr Gobbler. Is there a certain time they drink water? I am baffled by how often I think is gonna run right to the water hole before to get some hen action but it never pans out. Do they not care about water during breeding season. Are they getting the water from the nice free berrys and grass they are eating....
I keep this running through my head on a hunt...Should I even worry about a watering hole during spring?

Thanks again, its one of those questions that have bothered me and never thought to ask...
Have a great week and better day bringing home the a Easter FEAST!
God Bless
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/Smileys/fantasticsmileys/kiss.gif
John

surfcity said:
I have a question about Mr Gobbler. Is there a certain time they drink water? I am baffled by how often I think is gonna run right to the water hole before to get some hen action but it never pans out. Do they not care about water during breeding season. Are they getting the water from the nice free berrys and grass they are eating....
I keep this running through my head on a hunt...Should I even worry about a watering hole during spring?

Thanks again, its one of those questions that have bothered me and never thought to ask...
Have a great week and better day bringing home the a Easter FEAST!
God Bless
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/Smileys/fantasticsmileys/kiss.gif
John

John,

This is a great question......I know like all ground birds......Turkeys need water/moisture daily...... I can honestly say though, I've never seen a gobbler drinking water this time of year.....Hens seem to like to drink early after flydown....Water holes IMO are of little value during breeding season for gobblers......I would say, and the toms especially, get much of their moisture from grass this time of year......2 cents

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu