SD public land bird

Ahhh this wasn't you then. I was about a half mile away watching this guy call it in from the ground. Id post it but I don't want to burn the spot. :joy:
I hear you on that! Always fun to watch that go down. Better when its coming into you or your friends.

Way to go! Congrats. No luck for me today trying to call a bird on private over to public. He wouldn’t budge … I am pretty sure those gobbles were him just laughing at me. Need to figure out a new game plan for tomorrow. Glad you got it done!!!

Way to go! Congrats. No luck for me today trying to call a bird on private over to public. He wouldn’t budge … I am pretty sure those gobbles were him just laughing at me. Need to figure out a new game plan for tomorrow. Glad you got it done!!!

Reactions: 180ls1
Haha! He is bound to get horny sooner or later. I wonder if he was with hens? I've heard they will splif off from the hens mid morning/mid day. Maybe you can get him to come over then?

Hell yea way to knock one down..ought of the air none the less..wing shooting the biggest upland game bird there is..badass! Had one fly out infront of me over onto private giving me the slip before..
Dang.

I will say that the TSS is no joke. I am not sure if heavi would have worked out in the air, no chance with steel unless a pellet hit just right.

Best part of this is you hit that bang switch ! As @HATCHET1 would say “ No hesitation and finished !”
Yeah. If I did my part lol. I didn't realize how "slow" they fly, at least compared to dove and quail. My first shot was out front, second skimmed him and third I was like "screw it, I'm holding right on him" and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

Then I realized with 3 shells and 3 gallons of gas I spent $60 on that bird lol.

I think I heard you. Was it a lone gobbler hung up on private?

Reactions: BubbaEff
do we start a skybusting thread for turkeys now? :)

nice job dude, public land is getting it done

Thanks! I can't recall ever seeing them or having them come into calls at that spot (it gets pressure). So its spot and stalk or ambush out front. Maybe we all just suck at calling lol?

I think I heard you. Was it a lone gobbler hung up on private?
Yes, sure was. On Friday morning, there were two gobblers there. I saw the one fly down from roost, so went back there on Saturday. Was told that someone over there on private owns domestic turkeys. There was only one gobbler on Saturday. I think I was calling a caged bird!!! LOL, joke is on me. Hunted different areas in the same general area for 3 days without luck. Saw three hens and heard a few gobblers on public, but no luck for me. Still trying to learn … but turkey hunting on public is difficult for sure. One thing I have learned, my calling needs a lot of work. I think I just scare the birds away (except for the caged birds, haha).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu