Second Chance Buck

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Been mostly duck hunting lately so I figured with a day off I'd try to get on a buck. Headed up the mountain with @DanSanDiego and on the hike up we bumped a doe and buck right away. The buck was about 10 yards but by the time I got my gun ready he was bouncing away. I tried a running shot around 25 yards and thought I smoked him. I expected to find him piled up but he was nowhere to be found and with no blood trail either, I knew I blew it bad. I almost gave up at that point thinking the area is ruined but we decided to stick it out for another hour or so. We split up; Dan went to an area he's seen deer and I hiked further up to a canyon I've been before and liked. Sat down around 0745 and told myself that if I don't see anything by 0830, I'd head home and wallow in my frustration for the earlier miss. Then, right at 0815 a buck walks out from the ridge across the canyon and I'm shaking since no one ever gets a second chance buck and I'll really kick myself if I miss this one too. I steadied and shot, and he immediately ran into the canyon straight at me. Not wanting to miss my second chance, I shot him again in full stride and saw him pile up in some brush. His neck was pretty thick, had a broken antler, and he stunk like hell, so the rut is full tilt. Can't wait for some grilled backstraps!

20211111_081845.jpg

20211111_081931.jpg

Jason can see bucks in the thick brush (let‘s call it peripheral buck vision) on par with the best. I was only 30 yards from the first buck but didn‘t see it until Jason pulled the trigger.
The wind was a beast out there today. But the bucks are still rutting, so they were on the move.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu