Second deer tag drawing application.

WrstDuckHntr

Nov 11, 2019
Can anyone help me understand the advantage of youth being able to apply for apprentice hunts on the second deer tag drawing application? I’m guessing there is an advantage which is why they let youth do it, but I can’t figure out what it is.

Thanks!

It's because they are youth..Ca does one thing right. Gives the youth the advantage...of being a youth . ambiguous at best .but non the less ... youth friendly ....apply dude..they will get the tag

It's because they are youth..Ca does one thing right. Gives the youth the advantage...of being a youth . ambiguous at best .but non the less ... youth friendly ....apply dude..they will get the tag
I’m trying to figure out how to let my youth take advantage of the advantage.

Last year we just applied for a youth hunt as his first choice for the first deer tag drawing application. I feel like I’m missing out on some advantage by doing that and don’t want to make the same mistake again this year.

Last year we just applied for a youth hunt as his first choice for the first deer tag drawing application. I feel like I’m missing out on some advantage by doing that and don’t want to make the same mistake again this year.
Fort Hunter Liggett has a great Junior Deer Hunt. Either sex tag. Round Valley in Bishop is dope but harder to get a draw. My kid got two draws at FHL and my niece got one. 3 draws. 3 deer. All deer were taken within 130 yards. They also have a great Youth Elk Hunt.

John

Talked to and expert at DFG. I definitely made a mistake last year. Will be applying for both a first tag and second tag for him this year.

Reactions: 180ls1
Talked to and expert at DFG. I definitely made a mistake last year. Will be applying for both a first tag and second tag for him this year.
Please explain what you did wrong and what you will do correct if you don’t mind.

Who did you talk to? The last time I called the person I spoke to couldn't understand the difference between a-zone and a22 lol.

By the way, keep an eye on other species if you're not already doing so. One of the elk apprentice tags only had like 30 kids put in for it....

Reactions: WrstDuckHntr
Please explain what you did wrong and what you will do correct if you don’t mind.
Last year he only put in for the first deer tag drawing application as follows (specific zone left out)
Choice 1: Apprentice Deer Hunt
Choice 2: Premium D-Zone

This year he will apply for both the first deer tag drawing application and the second deer tag drawing application as follows:

First deer tag drawing application (applied as a party with me)
Choice 1: Premium G Hunt
Choice 2: Premium D Zone

Second deer tag drawing application
Choice 1: Apprentice Deer Hunt

Reactions: baboltin
Who did you talk to? The last time I called the person I spoke to couldn't understand the difference between a-zone and a22 lol.

By the way, keep an eye on other species if you're not already doing so. One of the elk apprentice tags only had like 30 kids put in for it....
Lai Saechao
License Program Analyst
License and Revenue Branch
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Phone (916) 823-7262
Fax (916) 419-7585
[email protected]
www.wildlife.ca.gov

Very helpful and knowledgeable. I hate when you call someone for help and end up knowing more than they do...definitely not the case with Lai (at least compared to me lol).

Lai Saechao
License Program Analyst
License and Revenue Branch
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Phone (916) 823-7262
Fax (916) 419-7585
[email protected]
www.wildlife.ca.gov

Very helpful and knowledgeable. I hate when you call someone for help and end up knowing more than they do...definitely not the case with Lai (at least compared to me lol).
Much appreciated!

Yeah, the helpfulness is the issue. Its 100% OK to not know something but no not make the effort is the part I dislike. Good luck on the draw!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu