Shed Hunting?

turkeyman 85

Feb 24, 2014
Any tips on shed hunting in socal. never really tried it before but everyone around me seems to find them on late season quail hunts. I do look for them but I'm so in tuned with what I'm chasing that I never really am looking for them lol. Now do you guys think the big boys should be dropping by now? Cause in the past I still see forkys with antlers this time of year. thanks in advance.

I thought our deer shed around Feb-Mar but maybe I'm wrong. I usually find sheds while preseason scouting in Jul-Aug. This small fork I found this Sep during archery season and the 3x3 pair I found last season around Jul. The fork is becoming a bottle opener...
9256276020a7ca337eeab3460b67eab5.jpg
fdcf67ae37f3201ef8e1f171aba00229.jpg

I would think you may have the most success in So Cal with a dog trained to find sheds.

Successful shed hunters spend their time on deer and elk wintering grounds. You don't have those in So Cal.

Definitely still a fun thing to do. Gets you in the woods. I take my son out and we look around the house here in CO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I dont hunt for sheds but I do pick them up while scouting/hunting during deer season. I plan on hunting/scouting year round for 2017 so Im hoping to find newer sheds than previous years.
SurfnhuntSD pair of sheds are really cool though. I've never found a pair.

Deer here in SoCal don't shed until at least late February for the most part......And like Nick said, the guys that do it for the money (truck pic) do it in wintering grounds right after any snow is gone.....That's the reason finding them here is so random......Also, be careful where you try to find them.....Places like Palomar State Park, Cuyamaca State Park, etc. do not allow removal of sheds.

Another tip.....If you find one, look closely for the other one in the same area.....They normally drop both within a few feet of each other.

Reactions: xjon
Deer here in SoCal don't shed until at least late February for the most part......And like Nick said, the guys that do it for the money (truck pic) do it in wintering grounds right after any snow is gone.....That's the reason finding them here is so random......Also, be careful where you try to find them.....Places like Palomar State Park, Cuyamaca State Park, etc. do not allow removal of sheds.

Another tip.....If you find one, look closely for the other one in the same area.....They normally drop both within a few feet of each other.

The truck load of sheds was not done for money. It is friends of mine, Lungpoppers and Snake Charmers. The family and friends do a shed hunt every year to spend time together in the field.

If you have game cams and see deer regularly, you will find their sheds. Anyway, as said above - it is great time spent wandering around in the outdoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: beeaav
Yeah I figured it's not the same as hunting winter grounds. But I do know where there is a few bucks that I want to keep tabs on. One that was a target buck from last season that I didn't get.

John,

Your friends may not be doing it for money, but many folks do......They even have an opening day in Montana.

.DSCF1268.JPG

Keep ur head down! Seriously just keep an eye out for that bright white shed found three this year from the road. And one dead head too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: turkeyman 85

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu