Shimano Speedmaster II 25

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
Anyone running this reel? Thinking of getting one with a heavier rod for blue fin, down off San Diego. My current set ups are more medium/medium-heavy (Torium 20; Penn Battle) with braid and 40 lb mono. Would like something that can handle BFT up to 150-175 lb.

If you do have a speedmaster 25, would appreciate knowing what rod you have it paired with. thx

Not me personal, but my friend is a Shimano freak. On that reel I saw him deck a 200#+ BFT. Not really sure which rod except to say it is a Phenix AXIS.

Reactions: ke1234567
If your looking for a rail rod.
For the budget minded the OKUMA and GRAPHTECH rail rods get it done.

what will you put on it?

80# braid-XH rod
100#-XXH
130#-XXXH

I don't own that reel but it looks like something you would get if a ferrari and a tank had a baby.......Nice and Solid.

36 oz is a little heavy for all day fishing.

Down size a little for a lot more comfort. Look into some of the N40's sizes

I already have smaller gear. Torium 16 and 20 on Trevala and Teramar rods, and a Penn Battle on a longer rod. I ended up with the SM25, in a Terez extra heavy. It's just gonna be my tuna rod, or other big boy fish. IMG_8567.JPGIMG_8567.JPGIMG_8560.JPGIMG_8567.JPGIMG_8560.JPGIMG_8561.JPGIMG_8561.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu