Shooting Questions

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
I want to start off by apologizing for a Larry long post...but I am hoping it helps explains my issue.

So I mounted my Razor LHT scope to my CA Mesa 6.5 PRC this morning and took it to the range to test it out with some of my hand loads. Overall the scope is good, but my just do not like Vortex glass as much as some others. However, this post is more about my inability to shoot well.

So I am trying to figure out if just focusing on a consistent squeeze of the trigger will fix my issue or if the way your cross hairs approach a target also makes a significant impact. I will call it "approaching" but I mean the process of settling your cross hairs on a target.

I took 3 shots at 25 yards to sight in the new scope (1 shot missed paper upper right, 2nd shot low to the right, 3rd shot low to the left) put tape over holes and moved target to 100 yards with the following 3 shots.

140 Bergers, RL26
Shot 1 - 3051
Shot 2 - 3056
Shot 3 - 3052

5F26C795-CD30-4902-AE1C-DF04CA32760F.png

Next, I wanted to check where my 127 LRX ammo fell. However, for some reason I tend to start my target just right and move left.

127 LRX, RL26
Shot 1 - 3240
Shot 2 - 3246
Shot 3 - 3242

5DAE3B01-4BBD-4B01-82EF-91FAEFF52F2A.jpeg

After mulling the shots after in my mind I realized that with the bergers I put my cross hairs just beneath the target and moved them up, however for the LRX I put the cross hairs just right of the target and moved them left into the target.

So I loaded up two more round of the 140 gr bergers and decided to shoot them with each with a different approach. The first shot I started right and settled them in (this is the shot that missed left), while the second shot I started low and worked up (shot fell within my previous group)
64A04F04-7B76-49E9-8D51-B442B59C46CC.png

I am pretty confident that the issue is me and not the reloads, however I need to ask if anyone else experiences this issue? Any tips or find anything the works best for you to be consistent?

Thank you!

Jake

Attachments

• 53FAF587-4F56-433C-86B5-B09C88589ACB.jpeg
    53FAF587-4F56-433C-86B5-B09C88589ACB.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 88E5F173-EF4D-4E92-BF42-B67D61B450EF.jpeg
    88E5F173-EF4D-4E92-BF42-B67D61B450EF.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 5
Are you not using a lead sled for your load development? With load development it really helps.

Yeah I completely agree that would help eliminate me out of the load development process. I probably should look into one of those for my load development...but to date everything has been bipod / rear sand bag / hand.

I guess my question is more along the lines of just general shooting rather than reloading.

ill see your Larry and raise you a Larry

Do not use a lead sled for load development. few reasons, one your recoil gets all wonked out. 100% of the energy pretty much goes into the flex created at the pistol grip. Stocks are not designed for this, POI will change! Now you say but its just for load development. Part of that is getting the harmonics of the barrel and chassis together and finding the top or bottom of the whip ( the longest time period that the bullet goes to the same spot) The sled will change this! also on wood stocks you could induce a crack by overloading the weak spot at the pistol grip. braked rifles are less prone to the damage, old school light weight rifles can get in trouble.

target shooting not free hand shooting you should not be moving into the target. front rest with rear bag cross hair on target. By default medium pressure on pad and light touch on cheek pad. Watch the recoil on the rifle. if the gun jumps left right or up to much you are doing something wrong. Light grip with your trigger hand is key, if you are feeling any heavy impact on it then change your grip. DO NOT GRIP THE GUN HARD! thats the number one way to mess up your groups. Some rifles want a firm shoulder on the pad some want none. Most want medium pressure. Have someone video you shooting. You can see the gun jump left or right or what ever. if your heart rate is making the cross hairs jump in a figure 8 you are putting to much pressure on the rifle. relax and ease up on the diet coke. Dry fire looking down the scope... a bad trigger pull will jerk the gun off the x. remember use the pad of your finger.

Freehand is not the same at all. There you can start low or high move onto the target pause and squeeze..... i suck at that so ill drive on

your groups look good for a new tube. .5moa is about as good as you can ask for from a non custom hunting rifle. Its not that bad even for a custom rig. The prc and the saum both like some break in time. after about 100 shots you should pick up some speed and it will mess with your harmonics. Keep a eye out for carbon rings at the throat. Your speed looks perfect that's bench rest quality SD so good job on the reloads.

on the LRX play with the seating depth. A lot of people tune powder till the water line gets small then play with seating to bring in the horizontal dispersion
The burgers look good to go.

Good info! Yeah I was wondering if it had something to do with my grip...and paying attention to which way the barrel recoils is something I need to do.

I just know its me vs the gun because quite often I'll put two in the same hole then yank one because i start thinking about it...I will plan on doing a lot more dry firing.

You need a different target. One where you can square up the crosshairs repeatedly. Below is the target I use for load development.

1594261610210601690882600190284.jpg

Reactions: JakeSCH
You need a different target. One where you can square up the crosshairs repeatedly. Below is the target I use for load development.

Lol you don't like my highlighter 0.2" circle on engineering paper??? I can add cross hairs and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: NBK

show off.....

The dasher is not ..... wana play? :)

Reactions: TRICER
from what I hear the 280ai is the michael jordan of cartridges

Okay went to the shooting range today to mess around with my “bench” shooting technique and to compare to shooting to prone.

I noticed that while on the bench that I was putting inconsistent pressure (with my thumb) causing horizontal travel (first image) - this happened on both shots that went right. So I replaced the target and put 3 more down range focusing on putting my thumb directly on top of the stock instead of wrapped around and took 3 more shots (second photo upper right).

Then one of the PWG employees came in to "certify" me shooting prone. Shooting prone on my mat I can load up the bipod which helps remove the torque I add with my thumb and it by far gave me the best group of the three (second photo bottom left).

Good news is that I am completely happy with that group prone, bad news I need significant more practice in all other shooting positions. A lot of dry fires are in my future.

Note:
These were shot out of my dad's factory Tikka T3x - Stainless; 30-06 hand loads; lapua brass; 175 gr LRX - 2750 FPS.
9081330A-239E-4B78-A74C-8FB84B43548B.png
DC366E61-6C82-4CC4-B86D-798CD4043DC7.png

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu