Shooting with your Opposite Hand

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
My Dad and I have inherited multiple old hunting rifles from our relatives over the years and I would like to take them to the range and shoot at least one animal with each. I shoot left handed, but I would like to learn how to shoot right handed rather than just shooting them left handed and reaching over the top to cycle the bolt. I imagine it just takes practice, but I just thought I would ask you guys if you've ever tried this and if you found any tips or tricks to making the process easier.

We shoot off hand at some of the matches I shoot. The hardest thing for me is getting your sight picture. But as stated above, practice

Reactions: Hunter527
Most of my little league games were spent standing in the outfield watching planes go by. One time I looked down and almost everyone was in the dugout already. At least I got plenty of practice watching the sky for bird hunting.

One of the old rifles belonged to my great-grandfather, he passed it down to my dad. Its a sporterized Mauser 98 rechambered to 30-06, it doesn’t have a floor plate, the stock covers where the floor plate would be. Also, they kept the original mauser safety. He hunted deer with it in D11 back in the 70s and who knows where else, its seen quite a few hunts by its looks! I wish I knew the full story!

One of the old rifles belonged to my great-grandfather, he passed it down to my dad. Its a sporterized Mauser 98 rechambered to 30-06, it doesn’t have a floor plate, the stock covers where the floor plate would be. Also, they kept the original mauser safety. He hunted deer with it in D11 back in the 70s and who knows where else, its seen quite a few hunts by its looks! I wish I knew the full story!
great story. I like old Mauser actions. are right or left eye dominate, use left for left eye dominate and right for right eye. so they say.

I'm also in the cross-eye dominant crowd, once I started wingshooting it made it pretty apparent I had to learn to shoot lefty if I wanted to hit anything consistently... Awkward at first but after a summer of practice I felt pretty comfortable. Now I shoot my rifle lefty too. However, I still only own right-handed bolt guns, I don't find it too cumbersome/awkward to operate the bolt.

Mark me down as a left eye dominate, right hander. My right eye is basically blind so I have no choice but to shoot lefty. If you think shooting a gun with your opposite hand is tough, try doing it with a bow, lol.

Not sure why you don't want to shoot them in your normal shooting position. I'm cross dominate and my shotguns and .270 are LH but I've also shot a ton of rabbits, ground squirrels and coyotes at my place with my son's RH .22. Easy to operate the bolt with your right hand if the gun is on the rest (.22 has a bipod). I think if I buy a new high end rifle I may get RH just because of the available calibers.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu