Shotgun Advice

KayakAngler

Sep 19, 2018
Hello, you might remember me from my "Total Newbie" post in the Newbie section a few weeks back. Anyway, I'm looking for a gun for upland birds and waterfowl, and after some research I'm leaning toward the Stoeger P3500. It has good reviews and a good price point. If anyone has experience with this gun, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

If anyone has any general advice or recommendations when shopping for this type of shotgun (for small birds, ducks, etc.), I'd love to hear it as well. I'm not totally set on the Stoeger.

Lastly, I know the regs are 3 shells only, including the 1 in the chamber, so is it better to buy a gun with a capacity of 3 to avoid the hassle of a plug? Or is using a plug easy to do?

Thanks.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
In that price range I'll also recommend my Franchi Affinity. I think they call it the Affinity "3" and the "3.5" now (which corresponds to shell length). My Affinity has been caked in mud and still fires. Hundreds if not thousands of rounds down the pipe and no issues. Plus it's very light so is good to haul around for upland game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have the mossberg 500, no complaints.
Nice! The MB500 was next on my list. Good to hear you've had no complaints with it. I think it comes with more chokes than the Steoger as well.

I'm going to check out the A300 and Franchi, too.

Thanks, guys!

Mossberg 500 and the P3500 are pumps, the others people are talking about are semi autos. I wouldn't get any pump gun other than an 870. You can get an Express model for well under $400 probably $300. They aren't as well made as they once were but still the best option IMO. I'm a Benelli guy but that P3500 has to be similar to a Nova. I've seen more issues with those than all other pumps combined. If you can swing the $700plus the Beretta A300 is a very light and dependable gun that will have much less recoil than any of the others mentioned.

Mossberg 500 and the P3500 are pumps, the others people are talking about are semi autos. I wouldn't get any pump gun other than an 870. You can get an Express model for well under $400 probably $300. They aren't as well made as they once were but still the best option IMO. I'm a Benelli guy but that P3500 has to be similar to a Nova. I've seen more issues with those than all other pumps combined. If you can swing the $700plus the Beretta A300 is a very light and dependable gun that will have much less recoil than any of the others mentioned.

Thanks Mud Pigeon. I'm looking for a pump because I haven't seen a semi that I can afford at this point. Maybe Mossberg is the way to go. The I've been eyeing it for some time now. I'll check the 870 as well (I assume you mean Remington?).

Last edited:
The Franchi Affinity in 12 ga have no issues and are a great value. I recently purchased 2 new Affinity in 20 ga and experienced cycling problems with light loads. After 200 rounds shot through each I sent them back to Franchi, one came back almost perfect the other still has occasional issues with light loads. These guns like to be shot somewhat wet, so I put a little lube on every other time I shoot them. They are light and point great.

MHO go to the gun shop
Feel how it fits
How's the weight.
How does it feel when you
Pretend to swing it.
I shot a shotgun at the NRA
Practice shoot Clay's pigeons.
I could not hit a dam thing with it.
Funny it frustrated range instructor.

The reason was it was to big and heavy for my build.
My shotty are light and fit my build.
I rarely miss with them
Rent some if possible like p2000
Gun range or similar. See how they shoot.
LB

I'm a Benelli guy as well.....The Stoeger M3000 is a semi auto that in the black synthetic model is under $500.00 (I would go with camo finish).....It's part of the Benelli family and the 2 friends that I have that shoot them have had no issues.

If you decide on a pump.....Go with the Rem 870.....2 cents

It is true the semi have less recoil.
I think all shotguns suggested are good. It becomes matter of choice.
But pick wisely. I had a inexpensive mod 50 Winchester full choke. I started out with it. It could knock down a little dove flying high.
But the barrel will not survive the
Non lead ammo. To thin wall thickness of the barrel. It would fail.
All new shotties should be non lead
Safe. I killed rabbit, quail, dove and pheasant. A new shot gun should be mod choke. 3 in or new 31/2 inch.
My mod 50 was 2-3/4 inch and did fine.

Reactions: KayakAngler
I’ll double that...very good choice. It shoots, it hits, it can be used to wade through brush and mud. That is a strong tool for hunting you have chosen.

I have 3 870s. I can’t get enough of them! My old 500 kept dropping shells out the bottom because it wouldn’t cycle high brass. It would shoot them but not extract and the next two rounds would drop in the drink as I tried to pump them in.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu