Shotgun Deer hunters, what loads with new laws?

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
I know there are a few guys on here that hunt locally with shotguns because of proximity regulations and terrain/veg of the areas they hunt. Ive got a few areas nearby that look promising for both deer and coyotes, and because of proximity to roads and/or because im most likely going to be close in becuase of the thick veg, a shotgun is probably the way to go vs my scoped rifle.

What ammo are you smooth bore shotgun guys going to with the new laws?

On another lead free ammo note....whats going to happen to the round ball muzzleloader guys with the new law? I was recently playing with a friends old percussion cap/replica muzzleloader and had some grand ideas if I got one, than looked around for lead free ammo. Seem the price of balls goes from about $.10 a lead ball to just over $1.00, before taxes and shipping if required!!!! I only found a single company that makes them too.

Reactions: Zak
Without knowing were you are Hunting it's hard to say.
But don't say it lol.
150 yards from any Building and your good. Make sure it an allowed shooting area. Look up sheriff's no shooting area maps on line.
And if it's BLM or National Forest area. Without restrictions.
I don't hunt deer with a shotgun.
I have used rifle. But you may consider a brush rifle like 30-30.
or similar.

I would look at heavy metal loads for deer and coyotes. Non lead.
Can't help wit muzzle loader.
But I thought I read was exempt but don't qoute me lol.

I have not found any non-lead loads for Buckshot. If anybody finds some... please post a link to them here.

I'm thinking you'd probably have to order a separate rifled slug barrel, in order to make use of Sabot'd all-copper slugs.

OR... get into shotshell reloading and somehow find non-lead buckshot sourced somewhere.

BassPro/Cabelas I scrolled thru their entire shotshell ammo pages and didn't find any non-lead BuckShot rounds. It's *possible* I missed but highly unlikely.

Reactions: Bronkorob

Reactions: Zak

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu