Sierra Nevada Bear trip

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Well I picked up a bear tag in Hope's I can get close to one. got up to around 9k feet and started to glass. had a good 2 hours and just saw some does bedded. weather moved in shortly after. going a little up north tomorrow. area seems more suitable for berries. I hear that's gold for this time of year.

during my time out found a creek with some wild trout. this was pretty cool. nymphed 10 of them.
IMG_20181006_173231_746.jpg

was snowed out and put my gear to the test. came out dry and warm. was pretty satisfied with my new glass. like my tripod?

well see what happens tomorrow.IMG_20181006_173608_925.jpg

Well I picked up a bear tag in Hope's I can get close to one. got up to around 9k feet and started to glass. had a good 2 hours and just saw some does bedded. weather moved in shortly after. going a little up north tomorrow. area seems more suitable for berries. I hear that's gold for this time of year.

during my time out found a creek with some wild trout. this was pretty cool. nymphed 10 of them.
View attachment 36354

was snowed out and put my gear to the test. came out dry and warm. was pretty satisfied with my new glass. like my tripod?

well see what happens tomorrow.View attachment 36353
That's awesome SDhunt.
I really like those creek trout.
Man really tasty.
Is your binos attached to your bow?
Awesome setup
LB

Reactions: msailor
looks like a great outing and more to come. it's a good feeling when the gear one has works out when you really need it. good luck sir.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
day two.

spent my time in the hoover wilderness. got up to high elevation to glass. spent most of my day glossing along the creek and hillside. spotted nothing but mule deer.
IMG_20181007_194739_751.jpg
20181007_131022.jpg

not sure if I'm not doing it right or if the cold weather made them hunker down. I do however know where I'm going if I pull a X9A tag. on my way down I spotted a nice 3x4 mulley only 236 yards away.
20181007_183128.jpg
also played around with my excalibur deer call and used the fawn call to being her from 83 to 49 yards. really cool to see a deer run up to me that quickly.
IMG_20181007_195706_756.jpg

had a great time up here. I wish I had just one more day. I'd maybe still hunt the creeks. over all I was happy with my gear. my ridge reaper under armour clothes kept me warm and dry in 20 degree weather both rain and snow. my glass was nice to have. cant wait to come back. I think I'll try my luck in the San Bernardino mountains.

Sdhunt
Did you find any bear sign?
Tracks or scat?
Just my gut feeling. Early winter
Look for feed, berries, eg
Or near campsites.

Pictures are just fabulous.
Like the pic of the buck.
Keep it going
LB

Sdhunt
Did you find any bear sign?
Tracks or scat?
Just my gut feeling. Early winter
Look for feed, berries, eg
Or near campsites.

Pictures are just fabulous.
Like the pic of the buck.
Keep it going
LB

I did more glassing than looking for sign. i think next time I'll walk the creeks looking for sign. I think that's what I'll be doing when I go to the San Bernardino mountains.

SDhunt
Slip my mind. Did you notice any territory claw stripped trees.
The big boys will strip the bark from the big pines. I saw this in Washington state. I don't remember the exact height. Between 7-10 feet.
Big boys marking their territory.
Keep an eye next I guess.
When I saw those trees stripped and how high it was. Very intimidating.
Good luck with the future bear hunts.
My brother scored a bear. I did not.
He still has his bear rug
LB

Reactions: Sdhunt17
SDhunt
Slip my mind. Did you notice any territory claw stripped trees.
The big boys will strip the bark from the big pines. I saw this in Washington state. I don't remember the exact height. Between 7-10 feet.
Big boys marking their territory.
Keep an eye next I guess.
When I saw those trees stripped and how high it was. Very intimidating.
Good luck with the future bear hunts.
My brother scored a bear. I did not.
He still has his bear rug
LB
I honestly did more glassing than looking for sign. i got up high glassed for days with my new specs. next time ill do more walking.
im looking to go up to the san B mountain before years ends and have some camp sights marked to hunt out of.
ill be looking for sign exclusively then

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu