Sign [or lack of] the times

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Went up to Palomar on MCC property, hiked 6 miles altogether. Went to my favorite waterhole, lots of mud and surprisingly a fair amount of water. Was scouting for deer for archery and the D16 rifle and carrying a shotgun for doves. Not one single deer track anywhere. Never had this before, always lots of tracks. Hiked uphill to a hidden spring where I have taken a few deer over the years. Some water, some mud, not a single deer track. Hiked down into the chapparal and found areas of dust and sand but not a single deer track. I always see at least a few lion tracks but nada this time. Did see a trail cam on Dyche 26 [MCC] at about 10 AM on 9/14, waved and smiled.

What are you other guys finding? Doesn't look particularly promising for either the archery or D16 or maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas.

I had the same expierence more or less Saturday. I dont think the recent rains produced enough water to pull them from more dedicated water sources. It was brtually dry in my spot (all public). First time not seeing deer there in years.

Remember all this water is very recent and it will take time for them to adjust if at all. I live up in Mesa Grande and when I came down today to go to Escondido the east end on the Henshaw valley near Warmer Springs was green from the rains, have not seen that in over fifteen years at this time in the year

Just the opposite in D14. My brother bagged his first archery buck on Sunday and his partner also bagged a spike. At one time my brother said he saw about 20 doe and 3 bucks withing 10 minutes. He has been hunting this area for many years and never saw this many deer.

Just the opposite in D14. My brother bagged his first archery buck on Sunday and his partner also bagged a spike. At one time my brother said he saw about 20 doe and 3 bucks withing 10 minutes. He has been hunting this area for many years and never saw this many deer.
Ouch... I would delete your post... GeeDog thread all over again. Ed F

Oh my....for some reason.
.the word SPIKE does stand out...hmmm.... Dear Lord...the D Zones are opening...lord help the deer in so cal..

Last edited:
Wish I had a Ca tag...good luck fellas .stay close to the roads. Those deer tend to travel the paths of least resistance..so they say..

ya my mistake my brothers friend shot a forkie my brother saw the spikes with all the doe. My brother shot a nice 2x2

So sad archery season will be over end of next week and haven't made it out yet. Just been too busy. One would think being retired would give you more time hahahahahaha sometimes NOT.

Reactions: OnTwoWheels89

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu