Sign Petition To Increase Access To San Diego Reservoirs

Designed2Hunt

Aug 18, 2019
San Diego’s reservoirs provide much more to the region beyond storing water. They give thousands of citizens an opportunity for recreation. The COVID-19 pandemic demonstrated that outdoor activities are essential for everyone to enjoy exercise in a safe environment. The region’s 24 reservoirs allow for fishing, boating, hiking, picnicking, and more.

Due to budget constraints, several reservoirs are not open to the public during several days of the week. For those that have a longer drive to access the Pacific Ocean, this presents a hindrance to enjoying the water resources of the region. For example, five reservoirs managed by the City of San Diego located within the unincorporated County have been closed an additional day each month since July 2019 due to budget reductions. This is in addition to the regularly scheduled days when they are not open.

Though it can be understood that municipal budgets are not unlimited, the nearby residents dependent on these public resources deserve to have reliable access to recreation. Access to publicly owned land is vitally important for the overall health of our communities. Outdoor recreation can provide stress relief, socialization, and nature appreciation through physical interaction with the natural world. In times of crisis or disaster, outdoor recreation also provides an important means of coping. Loss of access to outdoor recreation opportunities inhibits individuals’ abilities to engage with restorative natural environments and escape the pressures of the crisis.

Supervisor Anderson’s action calls for the County of San Diego’s Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to begin discussions with the public entities that manage reservoirs in the unincorporated area to determine the feasibility of providing operational support for the recreational use of reservoirs on a permanent basis. This includes, but is not limited to, the City of San Diego, the San Diego County Water Authority, and the Sweetwater Authority. The County DPR team has an established track record of providing quality access to the region’s recreational assets and are well equipped to begin the process of engaging our valued regional partners to determine how to maximize the use of these treasured recreational resources.

(By signing your name below, you are authorizing Supervisor Anderson’s staff to submit your response to the County of San Diego as a public comment on this agenda item.)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScX3QrtFhXBgKpCvBLyHJPCf3jIClBNR9I4XXL--cjjr6wryg/viewform

Dear Friends,

At Wednesday's Board of Supervisors meeting, I'm introducing a measure (agenda item #7) that directs the County of San Diego’s Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to begin discussions with the outside agencies managing our East County lakes.

Early in the Covid-19 pandemic, public access to many of the lakes was threatened due to City budget cuts, and the County stepped in on a one-time basis to provide funding to help the lakes remain open to fishing, hunting, and hiking. While that was a short-term solution, even now many of the lakes remain closed several times a month due to budgetary constraints. Last year, I promised that if elected, I would direct the County to work with our regional partners to protect long term access to lakes.

If you agree with me that our reservoirs should remain open for recreational use for generations to come, please consider signing onto my board letter:​

For instructions on the various ways that you can be engaged in the upcoming board meetings, please visit the County's website.

It's an honor to serve you.

Joel Anderson
Supervisor, District 2Joel Anderson
Supervisor, District 2

Supervisor Joel Anderson
Office Hours: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Email: [email protected]
El Cajon District Office
Phone: 619-441-4327​

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu