Single or Double Reed Duck Calls?

single, buck gardner tall timber. like 25 bucks and works just fine.

That’s interesting, I read on the buck gardner website that singles can get louder than doubles.

You are correct...Single reeds are louder for high balling, but can chuckle, and lonesome hen call as well...Double reeds like the Haydel DR-85 are very ducky sounding, easy to learn to blow (you don't really blow a duck call), and are very low priced...Hence, their popularity.

I personally have both a single reed (RNT) and double reed (DR-85) on my go to lanyard...Most low end double reeds sound pretty good...Buck Garner's double sound is quite good...You don't need to spend mega bucks to call mallards.

This pic is a couple days ago...Primos High roller, Buck Gardner widgeon whistle, DR-85, and the RNT single reed...All you really need for hunts like this.

.002.JPG

Reactions: nicapopolis
Nick,

It is nice getting them here locally this year after hunting in Alberta & Montana, where they are the dominate species...Greenheads truly do respond to calling better than any other duck... :blush:

.View attachment 42301View attachment 42302

Steve... I wish I could get out here. Mild December means lots of dead ducks and geese. Nothing is frozen like it usually is. I tried to get out on Monday and had to get towed home 40 minutes into my drive.

Nick,

It is nice getting them here locally this year after hunting in Alberta & Montana, where they are the dominate species...Greenheads truly do respond to calling better than any other duck... :blush:

.View attachment 42301View attachment 42302

Henshaw sure looks different than it did 15 years ago the last time I hunted it. Those trees were barely saplings and not very tall. Without seeing the hills in the background for a bearing I can guess you are probably in one of two places on the NE side of the lake.

The only time I ever really shot mallards there was when the ponds in back would fill up especially the big one we nicknamed “Stoney”.

Looks pretty green so hopefully the wigeon make a push and stick around for you.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Three wet years in a row so maybe they will drown out and go back towards what it used to be or management will cut the grow out down (I don't think so) waterfowl continues to suffer in this part of the world and its part of the reason I don't pursue it like I used to (poor management and changing conditions)

Fred,

Henshaw looks nothing like it did even a year ago...Willows are so thick that almost half the lake has no shoreline...High water like we have now will maintain some hunting for awhile...The trees are much too thick and big for cows to ever make and impact...The good is there's lots of clover, swamp timothy, and watercress...Just need some more ducks...This moon cycle and freezing temps in Utah could help a lot.

Steve, IMO the lake is going to die as far as waterfowl hunting goes as a good place to go, Used to hunt it back in the early 90's . You know what it was like even before then. Management does not have the cash flow to maintain it or make it better nor do they care and agriculture does not use the area anymore, It's headed towards being done unless something changes.

Fred,

Since it reopened in 1980, I've hunted it...There's been good years and bad...When we had 5,000 honkers, it was a very special place...Then the ag stopped growing (alfalfa & potatoes) and the geese left...It then fell off because of some really low water years...About 10 years ago, it flooded again, and it was great for the hardcore guys...Now, we have a new dilemma with willows...The good dedicated 'fowlers will continue to get birds...My biggest concern is lack of interest and the cost of keeping it open by the Mendenhall's and VID.

You are correct...Single reeds are louder for high balling, but can chuckle, and lonesome hen call as well...Double reeds like the Haydel DR-85 are very ducky sounding, easy to learn to blow (you don't really blow a duck call), and are very low priced...Hence, their popularity.

I personally have both a single reed (RNT) and double reed (DR-85) on my go to lanyard...Most low end double reeds sound pretty good...Buck Garner's double sound is quite good...You don't need to spend mega bucks to call mallards.

This pic is a couple days ago...Primos High roller, Buck Gardner widgeon whistle, DR-85, and the RNT single reed...All you really need for hunts like this.

.View attachment 42280
If you had to pick between the primos high roller and buck gardner whistle which one would you keep?

Is one easier for a new user, single vs double?

I was reading for new callers to use them sparingly when starting out, will usually scare them off rather than call them in until we get it down.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu