Slow Barrel Frustrations!

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
I am developing 168TTSX load for my kids Ruger American 308win and one of my employees Savage Axis 308win. Below are the results from both guns identical 22” barrel length and the same 43g charge of Varget and IMR4064. The Ruger is consistently around 90fps slower. The savage is right inline with the Barnes manual. After running it in quickload looks like I am gonna have to run the RA at around 2588fps with a 43.5 charge. 44.1 is max load.
I guess some barrels are just slower but it is frustrating.

Savage rifle 168TTSX

43g imr 4064 coal 2.841 SD 6.3 avg vel 2642

43g Varget coal 2.841 SD SD 9.8 avg vel 2631

Ruger American Rifle 168TTSX

43g IMR 4064 coal 2.841 SD 14.1 Avg vel 2558

43g Varget coal 2.841 SD 14.1 avg vel 2546

41A322DE-08D1-45BA-9851-905835903767.png

So looks like the safe accuracy node is around 2588 for both guns. Have to use about 1.5g more in the RA to get that velocity weird. Thanks @BBH for doing the quick load math. Not super stoked on that velocity but that is where the node is so that’s where I will load it. At some point I might mess with 150g bullets to see if I can get a better node. But as it sits these guns will be great 400 yard elk rifles and will both have CDS dials.

DB16FE1F-8538-42A3-B022-07DAF126E7B3.jpeg10B5C50C-272E-4A7D-AA1D-9EEBAFF768C5.jpeg
06B661E1-9AC3-4F1F-AB4A-14C6F021CF3C.png

Reactions: Kellendv
Both barrels tested same day within 10 minutes. At first I was thinking Zacs was loose but it looks like Drew’s is just slow.

Ya for what he will be doing with the rifle it’s gonna be fine. Those big heavy 308s are gonna bring the pain the animal won’t know the difference.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Some barrels are tighter than others. Lunpoppers 30 Nosler (Proof Research) gains about 75 FPS over my 30 Nosler (Brux). Both guns have the same twist.

My son killed two elk when he was 12 with a 21" 308 shooting factory 168 TTSX's. Go figure... I will let him know he wasn't getting enough velocity. :(

The velocity node is what it is and that is what I am going to load to. The whole point is that I am having to load 1.5g of powder in one gun to get the same node at 2588fps. I am not trying to get more velocity out of the gun it is just a slow barrel I guess. I am still able to have a safe load it's just that 90fps difference is pretty big in my opinion. I have not had that experience with my other Ruger Americans.

The velocity node is what it is and that is what I am going to load to. The whole point is that I am having to load 1.5g of powder in one gun to get the same node at 2588fps. I am not trying to get more velocity out of the gun it is just a slow barrel I guess. I am still able to have a safe load it's just that 90fps difference is pretty big in my opinion. I have not had that experience with my other Ruger Americans.

But your are not comparing Ruger to Ruger. I thought it was Ruger to Savage?

Just asking this but, what's the difference between the two guns bolt face to lands. If one is jumping and one is jammed you could be getting more pressure and more speed on the jammed gun.

Reactions: TRICER and JakeSCH
But your are not comparing Ruger to Ruger. I thought it was Ruger to Savage?
Ya I don't have another RA in the same caliber to compare it to. I have a feeling it is just this particular gun it would be nice to shoot it next to another RA. My buddy bought a stainless RA 308 from you a few years ago maybe when all of this covid is done I will put a few of Lil Drew's rounds through it and see what the velocity is.

Just asking this but, what's the difference between the two guns bolt face to lands. If one is jumping and one is jammed you could be getting more pressure and more speed on the jammed gun.
I haven't measured that the kids mags barely hold anything over SAMI length. That could have something to do with it. Really it was just a surprising observation that I wasn't expecting.

My son killed two elk when he was 12 with a 21" 308 shooting factory 168 TTSX's. Go figure... I will let him know he wasn't getting enough velocity. :(

Amen, John...….I'll let Stefanie know too.....6 shots, 6 downed bucks..... ;)

Reactions: NBK
His little .308 was a death laser!

He was a cute little guy. That year he killed 2 elk and one pig (12 years old).View attachment 43848View attachment 43849
And now he is a married man with a career, My how things change I rememeber meeting him when he was six years old. I'm getting old way too fast.. It's been agood journey knowing you and your family.

Was thinking about this, how many rounds have been shot through each gun? I've known several guns speed up in the 100 - 200 rounds mark?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu