Small Game Day on MCC

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Got a bit of a late start (6:00) looking for rabbits, but managed to find 5....Missed one from 10 yds, made good 40 yd shots on 3 with the Beeman, and got #4 after hitting it with the pellet gun at 45 (No Man's Land far back). Killed it with a head shot at 65 after it stopped with the Savage .17.....o_O

There were so many squirrels, that I had to take a few down with the .17....Wish the rabbits would've bred like that.....;)

Saw a few baby turkeys, but not many....And I got my 1st legal buck on a trail cam.....:grinning:

Sunday brunch at Apple Junction.....Nice morning.....:blush:

.017.JPG 578.JPG 019.JPG 026.JPG 507.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, I just learned something else from this site. I thought you could only shoot ground squirrels down here. Don't those type live in trees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are ground squirrels......Can't shoot tree (gray) squirrels, basically south of Kern Co. Even though bushy tails are quite common in San Diego Co.

.washington elk hunt lllll 2011 006.JPG 032.JPG

Strange... those exact type live in the pine trees all around where I live. But they are brown. They eat pine cones and everything!

So, those are not tree squirrels?

Where and what elevation do you live?.....For the most part, our grey squirrels live in higher elevations.....They like acorns & pine nuts.

Ground squirrels will climb short trees, but you'll never see them jumping from tree to tree....Ground squirrels like grasses, eggs, and seeds....Short tail and brown.

ps......I have better pix of gray squirrels. Just having a hard time finding them.....Bushy tail

.deer 8-7-13 055.JPG

Last edited:
Where and what elevation do you live?.....For the most part, our grey squirrels live in higher elevations.....They like acorns & pine nuts.

Ground squirrels will climb short trees, but you'll never see them jumping from tree to tree....Ground squirrels like grasses, eggs, and seeds....Short tail and brown.

ps......I have better pix of gray squirrels. Just having a hard time finding them.....Bushy tail

.View attachment 32483

Urban Anaheim! But I have a bunch of tall pine trees in my neighborhood. They don't did holes and are always in the trees. But yeah, they are brown with a less bushy tails than the ones in the mountains.

t is easy to identify ground squirrels, since they forage above ground near their burrows. ... Although ground squirrels look similar to tree squirrels and can climb trees, when frightened they always will retreat to a burrow, whereas tree squirrels will climb a tree or tall structure and never use a burrow.

Ground squirrels are a food source when SHTF. they are edible. but not some thing that is prized. very much a rodent like Pack Rats. which are edible. but not recommended like Snake Charmer said. Native Americans would throw the whole ground squirrel in a fire to kill all the parasites. Depending on the area, the elevation Rabbits also have lots of fleas. I would use a small but rugged trash bag to throw them in to prevent the fleas from bitting me. bad news. Until I am done for the the day then skin them and discard the skin.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Tree squirrels are pretty tasty, but ground squirrels are pretty damn oily and gross

0200A102-2758-48A5-A75F-63AE04D056BD.jpeg
Urban Anaheim! But I have a bunch of tall pine trees in my neighborhood. They don't did holes and are always in the trees. But yeah, they are brown with a less bushy tails than the ones in the mountains.

This might be what you’re seeing in Anaheim. I think they’re Fox Squirells. Tree squirells that look similar to ground squirells. I took this pic in Central Park in Huntington Beach. They’ll come down and eat nuts out of your hand. Granddaughter loves em.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu