Smoked cheese

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
On a roll...

Smoked up some sharp cheddar as well as some English rugged cheese. Went with apple wood and the cold smoke method using a smoke tube and a tin pan of ice. It takes 7-10 days to set up after the smoke so it's a waiting game now. It looks and smells spectacular.

20210329_190841.jpg20210329_190116.jpg20210329_190318.jpg20210329_213659.jpg20210329_200336.jpg20210329_215034.jpg

7-10 days in the fridge? Do you wrap it up? Looks amazing!

Ya' Lee - looks great!;)
7-10 days in the fridge? Do you wrap it up? Looks amazing!
I vacuum seal it but plastic wrap will work. If you don't let it rest, it will taste bitter. One week minimum.

I'm kind of partial to hickory smoke cheddar. I like the good stuff, three year cheddar. I find the four year and up may have a tendency to be a little flakey, which can overcome by letting come to room temp. before cutting but not always.

Reactions: NBK
Hey John, So I have followed this thread from the start and understand the cold smoke thing because of the remote smoke box but please explain how you acheived the low temperatures for cheese and what is the perforated tube below the cheese and how its plays into cold smoke.

Hey John, So I have followed this thread from the start and understand the cold smoke thing because of the remote smoke box but please explain how you acheived the low temperatures for cheese and what is the perforated tube below the cheese and how its plays into cold smoke.
Pretty simple Fred. Smoke the cheese in the evening when it cools down, use an ice tray to chill the smoke box and fill the smoke tube full of your favorite wood pellets. Light the pellets in the smoke tube, let it burn for a few minutes then blow out the fire. Place the smoldering tube in the box and walk away. The smoke tubes will smolder up to 6 hours. They generate very little heat which is overcome by the coolness of the outside ambient temperature as well as the ice in the smoking box. When I pulled the cheese, it was still cool to the touch. You also want to bring the cheese to room temp prior to smoking. This allows better smoke penetration into the cheese. The pellet smoker never gets turned on. And for good measure you could turn on the pellet smoker fan but I just don't think it adds any value because the temp inside never got above 60°.

Fred, cold smoking no direct heat, only smoke, and is great for cheese, hot smoking is direct heat and smoke, not below 140 degrees F , object is to smoke and dehydrate. cold smoking meat has to be done carefully to prevent bacteria growth, salted with brine, and the meat has to be prepared properly to prevent bacteria growth. hot smoking kills all of the bacteria and dehydrates the meat. just of what I know.

Pretty simple Fred. Smoke the cheese in the evening when it cools down, use an ice tray to chill the smoke box and fill the smoke tube full of your favorite wood pellets. Light the pellets in the smoke tube, let it burn for a few minutes then blow out the fire. Place the smoldering tube in the box and walk away. The smoke tubes will smolder up to 6 hours. They generate very little heat which is overcome by the coolness of the outside ambient temperature as well as the ice in the smoking box. When I pulled the cheese, it was still cool to the touch. You also want to bring the cheese to room temp prior to smoking. This allows better smoke penetration into the cheese. The pellet smoker never gets turned on. And for good measure you could turn on the pellet smoker fan but I just don't think it adds any value because the temp inside never got above 60°.
sorry John typing while you were answering, but all good.

Reactions: NBK
So you could smoke cheese this way in any BBQ correct ?

Ahh John, got it . Did not think the smoke tube would produce for that long and I would agree that the fan might not be a good idea as it might boost the temp of the smoke tube pellets. That's above what a Treager could do from my knowledge and a bit more work so I am also understanding why connectivity is now important . Question- are the smoke tube pellets dry or do you dampen them ? I'm guessing not...

So you could smoke cheese this way in any BBQ correct ?
Yes sir. Your Traeger, Weber or whatever will work. Having the vertical shelves is an advantage though. The upper shelf on your Traeger would be good to put the cheese on (far right side) with a large ice tray below on the grate. Place the smoke tube on the grate on the left side. Boom.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Ahh John, got it . Did not think the smoke tube would produce for that long and I would agree that the fan might not be a good idea as it might boost the temp of the smoke tube pellets. That's above what a Treager could do from my knowledge and a bit more work so I am also understanding why connectivity is now important . Question- are the smoke tube pellets dry or do you dampen them ? I'm guessing not...
Dry...

in the old fashion way of cold smoking, hot coals with with wet wood to create lots of smoke. pellet stove should work but I don't use a pellet stove . I do it with wood.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu