Snake River Cat

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Went out last week to try and toss my crawfish trap into the Snake river but upon arrivel there wasn't a good spot to toss it out. It was shallow along the shore and lots of reeds along the river bank. I only had about a 3 hr window to toss out so I figured I'd just toss out for some catfish instead. I was meeting a buddy there so after I grabbed my fishing stuff I decided to rig it up get my line in the water while waiting for him. Right after I tossed out he arrived so I walked over to help him with his cooler and let him use some of my bug spray and by the time we walked back my pole was leaning down. I set the hook and brought in my biggest catfish yet. It was 8lbs! Had to take the beer out of my buddies cooler and put it into mine because the cat didn't fit into mine!
I had 2 more hook ups but they would get hung up in the reeds as I was bringing them in and I couldn't get them out before my line would break.

Decided to look into a new setup for cat fishing and possibly sturgeon and salmon down the road. I came across a killer deal from a dude selling his sturgeon setup that he hadn't been using much. Its a Penn Squall 40LD. The combo still sells for over $200 and I was able to get it for $40! Going to replace the braided line and get it set up so hopefully I don't loose anymore fish.

Resized_20221003_195244.jpeg

The new (to me) rod and reel

20221010_115517.jpg

Nice fish.
Braid will last up to 10 years. Keep the braid and add a 5’-6’ top shot of fluorocarbon to match what you are fishing for.
Solid tip thanks!! I might just do that. What type of knot do you recommend to connect the 2 lines? I've run the FG knot before..just curious on what you'd use.

Nice catch. Like Lungpopper said, don’t replace that braid! I’ll often fish straight 65 lb braid for catfish. They’re not line shy unless they’re recent stockers (highly unlikely in the Snake River), the braid lasts forever, and it will allow you to horse the cats out of the reeds without breaking off. If you choose to attach a mono leader, I would use the RP Knot. Invented by the owner of the Royal Polaris long range boat, he recommends it for 300 lb tuna. Easy to tie. See YouTube.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Nice catch. Like Lungpopper said, don’t replace that braid! I’ll often fish straight 65 lb braid for catfish. They’re not line shy unless they’re recent stockers (highly unlikely in the Snake River), the braid lasts forever, and it will allow you to horse the cats out of the reeds without breaking off. If you choose to attach a mono leader, I would use the RP Knot. Invented by the owner of the Royal Polaris long range boat, he recommends it for 300 lb tuna. Easy to tie. See YouTube.
Good stuff thank you! So I run a Carolina rig for cats and because of that I run a leader with a barrel swivel, bead and weight which I feel causes breaking points at the swivel..do you just cut a leader of braid and run that or what setup do you use for catfish?

Good stuff thank you! So I run a Carolina rig for cats and because of that I run a leader with a barrel swivel, bead and weight which I feel causes breaking points at the swivel..do you just cut a leader of braid and run that or what setup do you use for catfish?
I normally use straight braid. Put on a Carolina Keeper after the egg sinker and just slide it to your desired location. I would typically go 12 to 18 inches. Tie on hook and you’re done. Not a single knot.

If you’re using a mono or fluoro leader, make it at least three feet long, splice it on with an RP or Albright knot, and the rest is exactly the same as above.

I normally use straight braid. Put on a Carolina Keeper after the egg sinker and just slide it to your desired location. I would typically go 12 to 18 inches. Tie on hook and you’re done. Not a single knot.
Well no splice or swivel knots, just the hook knot.

I am going to have to look into getting some of those. Never heard of them but looked up a video and they seem pretty cool. Thanks for the tip!!

Reactions: WaterDawg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu