SoCal Antelope?

D12 will be famous... hopefully they survive and maybe my grandkids can hunt them. oh yeah, I believe Desert Wildlife Unlimited is also involved

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprig who knows, I agree with you its gonna be tough and with the way this state is going, DFW won't do much to budget and help but at least we can dream.... SCI is a good cause and we all need to be members and participate. SCI is a must be member organization IMO in regards to big game hunting around the world.

Pretty cool! I wonder why they chose the IV instead of the AV?

Pretty cool! I wonder why they chose the IV instead of the AV?
only a guess but i'm thinking that the lopes will be able to use all of the drinkers we already have for the mule deer instead of building new ones ? not sure if AV has some already but just a quick thought.

Reactions: Goyaałé
I am super happy to see that CA is finally on the receiving end of benefits. We give up Chukar and Big Horn to other states so Im glad they are reciprocating with Antelope. I have a question: why can't we have Hungarian Partridge "Huns" introduced into our state into the areas of the Owens Valley and North towards Lake Tahoe? I think the habitat would work. Even if its a non native species it should be considered cause it worked with Chukar. I think Chukar should also be dispersed south towards the border so that someday they may be hunted. Back to CA goats: I once found an antelope skull in a canyon on the southern side of Carrizo Plains while quail hunting.

Smokey,

Totally agree with you....The reason these thoughts will not come to fruition is because the greenie's of DFW hate non native species....If they had their way, there'd be no Chinese ring-necked pheasant, red-legged partridge (chukar), or wild turkeys....The reason their giddy over these antelope is because this was once part of their home range....Oh, they hate bull frogs, bass, crappie, bluegill, brown, and brook trout too .....They'd rather save some native sucker fish any day than a game fish.

ps......Same reason they left Eurasian Collared doves basically unprotected (invasive species).....No limit, no season.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I am super happy to see that CA is finally on the receiving end of benefits. We give up Chukar and Big Horn to other states so Im glad they are reciprocating with Antelope. I have a question: why can't we have Hungarian Partridge "Huns" introduced into our state into the areas of the Owens Valley and North towards Lake Tahoe? I think the habitat would work. Even if its a non native species it should be considered cause it worked with Chukar. I think Chukar should also be dispersed south towards the border so that someday they may be hunted. Back to CA goats: I once found an antelope skull in a canyon on the southern side of Carrizo Plains while quail hunting.
I think the Antelope have been in Carrizo for some time. Not sure if they are transplants or been there forever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It would be an awesome sight to see pronghorn here in CA. Unfortunately most of the habitat they need has been fenced which won't work for them.
I have never been out to Chuckwalla Basin. I hope this works.

I go out to NM twice a year and I see pronghorn bound the barbwire fences like nothing. I have even seen a Bull Elk do it. I think these goats will go from public to private land as they please.

I go out to NM twice a year and I see pronghorn bound the barbwire fences like nothing. I have even seen a Bull Elk do it. I think these goats will go from public to private land as they please.
I live amongst pronghorn and see them daily. I rarely see them jump fences. Shoot when we hunt them the whole herd will run along a fence line until they can find a place to go under. It is possible that the NM pronghorn you see have a different learned behavior though.

The comments about fences as a deterrent seems to hold true. Once parcels start to get fenced at 40 acres or so you rarely see pronghorn. Where they are looking to release them I am sure is much more vast.

I always thought the lower Owen's Valley would be a great location for them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu