Spot and stalk, lesson learned.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I came really close to harvest my first deer. I practice with my bow enough to be comfortable up to 50yards.
I have taken into account every detail possible as part of my preparation for this season. From gear to scouting locations, to practice glassing to keep in good shape for a pack out.

The first day while trying to cross a ditch 6'deep x 12'wide the tree log that was lying down to cross collapsed with me on top, with my bow in hand I landed on my face..literally. Completely covered in dirt and disoriented I ended up getting lost, I could not make sense of the map on my phone...I'm pretty sure the fall got me all massed up. Finally found my way out. Feeling beat while on the trail I bumped a doe, which lifted my spirits and put me on higher alert.
5 minutes later I spotted a little Buck bedded. It took me over 1 hr of dragging myself on the ground to close the distance..I got to 45 yards until a Calfire helicopter Hoovered over me spooking the buck...I could not believe my luck.

I went home that evening then to work the next day. As soon as I left work I ran back to the woods. Got higher looking for a buck and bumped a Doe with a nice Buck....they didn't run but walked away as I threw myself on the ground to avoid being seen. I left the area to try to keep them around for the next day.
The last day in the morning I got higher and OMG I spotted 2 Bucks from 450yrds. They were sparring for like 20 min..it was quite a sight. I said a prayer and I got rewarded, they decided to bed down by the bushes below.
I retrieved and planed my stalk. I marked the location where they bedded on my phone, checked the wind and the route. I Went all the way back and down the hill and around the area until I was able to get within 100yrds behind them, I dropped my bag, put on another pair of socks and a ghillie jacket, and try to close the distance. At 35 yards I noticed one of the bucks looking at the bush where I was hiding...F$#$K...I had missed marked the spot by 30yrds! They were to my right not in front as I originally thought. They calmly walked away...

Here is what I learn:

1) Take your time marking the spot, do the math, range the distance and compare that to the scale of your map. Use as many visual points of reference as you can.
2)If you think you are close stay put! Do not advance until you can see the deer. They could be to your right, left, or right in front but you might not be able to see them.

Rifle season is next.

Wg,

It's so hard to get a buck with bow here in the "16" (SoCal)....Sounds like you did great and you were just unlucky...All the best the rest of the way.

Reactions: Wildgame
with out pics it is not true, (speaking to my self) I fucked up so many times the last few years it unbelievable, any one believe in karma, i am superstitious I think I pissed off the deer gods, so don't worry my friend won't be the last time. D16 public is a tough customer and I think you did well. The last time I went out with a bow I was hiking in an open field, I saw two doe at the end of the clearing at the beginning of tree and bush line. I froze in my tracks, I would only move if heir heads were down, and the wind and the birds would make noise. did that for like seemed hours. started from 120 yards to 40 yards, then busted by an other hunter.
life is good

Great effort. No doubt you’re going to score sooner rather than later.

Keep at it you are doing it right , next time maybe a charm, once you get that archery deer you may put that rifle away.

Dang, you probably got a mild concussion in that fall. Glad you made it out. After that fall do you think about getting one of them devices that you can call for help? inReach I think it's called.

Thanks guys. I too feel I'm on the right track.
I left the woods feeling terrible. But once I was on the road driving home I had a big smile that made everything ok.
I came to the realization that it just wasn't my time yet. And I'm ok with that.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Have you tried the truck? I see alot of deer off the roads...no shit.

I came really close to harvest my first deer. I practice with my bow enough to be comfortable up to 50yards.
I have taken into account every detail possible as part of my preparation for this season. From gear to scouting locations, to practice glassing to keep in good shape for a pack out.

The first day while trying to cross a ditch 6'deep x 12'wide the tree log that was lying down to cross collapsed with me on top, with my bow in hand I landed on my face..literally. Completely covered in dirt and disoriented I ended up getting lost, I could not make sense of the map on my phone...I'm pretty sure the fall got me all massed up. Finally found my way out. Feeling beat while on the trail I bumped a doe, which lifted my spirits and put me on higher alert.
5 minutes later I spotted a little Buck bedded. It took me over 1 hr of dragging myself on the ground to close the distance..I got to 45 yards until a Calfire helicopter Hoovered over me spooking the buck...I could not believe my luck.

I went home that evening then to work the next day. As soon as I left work I ran back to the woods. Got higher looking for a buck and bumped a Doe with a nice Buck....they didn't run but walked away as I threw myself on the ground to avoid being seen. I left the area to try to keep them around for the next day.
The last day in the morning I got higher and OMG I spotted 2 Bucks from 450yrds. They were sparring for like 20 min..it was quite a sight. I said a prayer and I got rewarded, they decided to bed down by the bushes below.
I retrieved and planed my stalk. I marked the location where they bedded on my phone, checked the wind and the route. I Went all the way back and down the hill and around the area until I was able to get within 100yrds behind them, I dropped my bag, put on another pair of socks and a ghillie jacket, and try to close the distance. At 35 yards I noticed one of the bucks looking at the bush where I was hiding...F$#$K...I had missed marked the spot by 30yrds! They were to my right not in front as I originally thought. They calmly walked away...

Here is what I learn:

1) Take your time marking the spot, do the math, range the distance and compare that to the scale of your map. Use as many visual points of reference as you can.
2)If you think you are close stay put! Do not advance until you can see the deer. They could be to your right, left, or right in front but you might not be able to see them.

Rifle season is next.
Great work. One step at a time, and soon you'll get there.

I see a Forky on the ground very soon here for you...I'm usually right...so you got some mojo coming your way. Stay the course...push forward..tow the line ...never waiver.... FINISH!!

• Haha
Reactions: IVhunter
Always move slower than the deer.......now you know one of their escape routes. I've tossed rocks to get the deer to stand up or look away from me. Thinking out of the box gets things done!
Good luck!

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu