Spreading Wild Turkey love

DirtHunter

Feb 11, 2019
Anahiem
Saturday my co-worker and I headed down to Love Valley from Orange County looking for birds.
We did not see any.
As we were getting to the trailhead we met a couple of gentlemen going for a hike and they asked us what we were hunting.
I told them Turkeys. They were shocked there were wild turkeys here.
I told them that This area in San Diego were the only place in Southern California that had wild turkeys.
I gather he was generally amaze of this. and I hope I shedding a positive light on us So-Cal hunters.

Yea I get that reaction about 90% of the time when I mention hunting Turkeys in San Diego. People generally can't believe there are wild Turkeys running around out in the woods.

got thank every one involved, would been nice when I started hunting, I did find them in northern Mexico, smart birds, couldn't get close, but I was naïve back then.

Saturday my co-worker and I headed down to Love Valley from Orange County looking for birds.
We did not see any.
As we were getting to the trailhead we met a couple of gentlemen going for a hike and they asked us what we were hunting.
I told them Turkeys. They were shocked there were wild turkeys here.
I'd also be shocked to hear there's wild turkeys in Love Valley.. haha jk.

Yeah I run into people who've lived in SD their whole life and have no idea there's turkeys here.. of course these same people rarely venture east of the 15.

I would agree about Love Valley....I have never seen a turkey there or even heard of one being seen....Yet, they're quit common in the surrounding areas....Love Valley would be about the last place I'd hunt turkeys.

I would agree about Love Valley....I have never seen a turkey there or even heard of one being seen....Yet, they're quit common in the surrounding areas....Love Valley would be about the last place I'd hunt turkeys.
@ilovesprig if there are no turkeys in Love Valley. How about McGee Flat or Deadman Flat? Or where would you recommend, my camera didn't get a good picture of the Forest map where the turkeys were?

Grandpa took part in the first introducttion of the yardbirds in SLO county....they released several dozen on the property....still have a few left to this day..granny tells a great story on how that went...oh boy..what a story..Came from Texas..Rio,s...my favorite.

Last edited:
@ilovesprig if there are no turkeys in Love Valley. How about McGee Flat or Deadman Flat? Or where would you recommend, my camera didn't get a good picture of the Forest map where the turkeys were?

Like I said, there's turkeys in the surrounding public lands (CNF)….Magee Flat, Deadman Flat, Kessler Flat, and most ground off of Boulder & Eagle Peak Rds had turkeys....About 4-6 years ago, we went into a downward spiral of losing our turkeys....I know a lot of guys that have had a tough time on public lands this year...The turkey season is coming to a rapid end with this warm weather coming up as well.

Reactions: DirtHunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu