Spring pigs

The joel

Oct 25, 2016
With my first Turkey in the bag we decided to spend our remaining time away seeking some pigs. After a slow evening and a blown opportunity we went further in and came up in a really deep valley with good water and lots of pig sign. We ended up spotting 3 boars following around a sow we assumed must of been in heat. At little over 100 yards out, my hunting buddy and
I put the 2 larger boars in our scopes and timed our shots perfectly. I then turned my attention to the last remaining boar and squeezed the trigger. He dropped where he stood confirming my love for my recent purchase of a ruger American predator in 6.5 topped with vortex viper pst. (Great budget rifle!) After dragging them back across the creek in the rain we muscled them in to the truck and drove away laughing and high fiving. Couldn’t get back to camp fast enough to crack some beers and enjoy the last day away from work. Although the clouds hid the stars from us we spent hours reliving how much fun we had and talked of our hopes for trips this year. We dropped them off at specialty meats to have them grind some of our favorite jalapeño chedder sausage and handle the processing as we don’t have the time and don’t mind paying for them to do it. HIGHLY suggest them if you ever need a processor. It’s was a great trip all around and can’t wait for the next adventure.

.0D7D6C02-9358-4B42-ABA9-39D1BBB88FA4.jpeg8F1AF980-69AF-4EDB-8C01-AFCB285CE6D8.jpeg69C26CE8-4C61-475C-A233-45092103E67E.jpeg44562A63-D435-41CC-BCCD-48A3CA5106C7.jpegC21809EA-A86F-461A-B2FF-2C3799924C5F.jpeg87400F90-5077-4A3B-8820-B3896D430259.jpeg7B056595-FAC3-45A7-80E6-ADAA48B1B09B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! Is that in San Diego?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No bud it was up in Tulare county. The landscape up there is awesome! It’s a private ranch that a guide has the lease for so of course there’s fees involved. I’ve used it as a tool to learn since I don’t come from a family of hunters. I wanted to gain knowledge on hunting more than dove and quail. Other than the posts and posters on this site (which has helped tremendously) this has been a go to tool for gaining knowledge. Now it seems like it will be an annual trip for a few buddies.

Feel free to post the guides info

Post the guides info! If they are reasonable I’m sure people would do it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys. He specifically asked me not to share his info as he won’t be taking on any new clients. He look on here every now and then and if he wants to I’m sure he’ll leave it. I actually got his number from here a while ago.

Reactions: HATCHET1
Congratulations! Beautiful country and great looking boars! You may also have indirectly answered my question about budget rifles at the same time.

Reactions: Drake Dunn
Congratulations! Beautiful country and great looking boars! You may also have indirectly answered my question about budget rifles at the same time.
I shot the axis 2, Remington 700 ruger American and the browning abolt. For me it was no doubt the ruger seemed to be more well built. We’re all going to have our opinions and now days it seems technology has allowed for budget rifles to be pretty solid but I was most impressed with the ruger. Spend $500 on a rifle and buy the viper pst scope.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu