Squirrel hunting guide?

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a guide or willing to be mine and my brothers guide for squirrel?

Thanks.

Doesn't matter what kind of squirrel to me just want to try to hunt them. I have a shotgun and about to get an air rifle hopeful before the 1st of the year. I also have a 22 rifle but don't know if that would destroy the meat.

well i shoot a lot of ground squirrels with my 223 and about 100 yards or so but its up in the condor zone so its lead free. i use 36g bullet and theirs still meat left. its kind of fun to wait then all of a sudden theirs 5 or 6 running all over then they are gone again for a while. lots of waiting with the ground squirrels. id have to look it up but tree squirrels are a different thing with a season and they are closed in different parts of the state im pretty sure.

added:

§307. Tree Squirrels.

Tree squirrels may be taken only as follows:

(a) General Season and Areas:
The general season in the counties of Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, Yolo, Yuba, and that portion of Kern County lying east of Interstate 5 shall open on the second Saturday in September extending through the last Sunday in January.
(b) Archery and Falconry Tree Squirrel Season and Area: Tree squirrels may be taken with bow and arrow or raptors only during the general tree squirrel season and as follows:
(1) The season in the counties of Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Modoc, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, and Yuba; and that portion of Kern County lying east of Interstate 5 shall open on the first Saturday in August extending through the day before the general tree squirrel season.
(c) Bag and Possession Limit: Four squirrels per day, four in possession.
(d) Except as provided herein, tree squirrels may not be taken at any time in the balance of the state.

Amendment of subsections (a)(1), (b)(1) and Note, and repealer of subsection (b)(2) filed 6-23-93; operative 6-23-93.

Thanks. Anyone know a spot in Kern County willing to take me and my brother? Kern Countyis the closes location to us. I don't mind paying for your time!

Neil Ray (Giant Sequoia Guide Service) does lots of different hunts in that area. See the link on the home page of SCH. Don't know if he's offered squirrel but it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

I'd be hesitant to eat ground squirrel. If memory serves correctly, 2 years ago, they found a couple in SoCal that had a version of the plague virus. You'd be better served to use your 22 than the shottie or the air rifle. Unless your air rifle is setup for long pokes or shoots a .22/.25, it's difficult to stay accurate out past 50 yards IMHO. Just my thoughts.

Leave the squeaks where they lay. Bubonic is no joke.

Now as to tree squeaks, yum!

Lungpopper said:
Neil does squirrel hunts.

http://giantsequoiaguideservice.com/index.html

Squirrel: $150 per day, per hunter No limit

I second not eating ground squirrels. I think they found plague in some ground squirrels in Tulare County a few years back. Tulare CO and Kern are right next to each other. To each their own, but there is no way I'd eat a filthy ground squirrel. Stick with the big grey tree squirrels.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu