Squirrels on PL ?

SocalAL

Apr 13, 2017
Anaheim
Being a new hunter, especially one with plans of doing large amounts of turkey an waterfowl hunting I'm looking to pretty much shoot anything an everything I can in attempts to learn as much as I can about not only the animals but the feeling of the hunt. I've read multiple times that hunting squirrel will not only improve obvious things like accuracy an breathing under stress, but overall woodsmanship. Not to mention I've heard they are pretty damn tasty.

So I guess what it boils down to is this...

1) Is squirrel hunting public land anywhere around OC a possibility? (within reasonable driving distance)

2)What are some good practices to do while hunting squirrel that I might find myself using in certain aspects of other hunts?

3)Are fried squirrel brains really good, or have my cousins been foolin with me all these years and getting away with it ?

-AL

OK after you get back from your squirrel hunt we can go on a snipe hunt.

OK back to your post,

I'll assume you mean tree squirrel and not ground. Ground are rats and to be treated as such.

1 can't hunt tree squirrels in oc at all, there are no public land ground squirrels in oc to speak of.

2 Practice stalking and moving slow and quiet.

3 I do not eat squirrel, you are on your own

Last edited:
Reactions: SocalAL
I see tree squirrels occasionally in the OC CNF but as has been said there is no open season. There are ground squirrels at San Jacinto but I don't believe plinking is allowed. As far as eating tree squirrels, rule of thumb is once they are full grown they're tough. Eat the small ones or prepare to chew....

Al,

There's no gray squirrel hunting in SoCal.....The nearest place would be Kern Co.....And the season coincides with most other fall seasons (Sept-Jan).

Ground squirrels like Bill said are no bueno when it comes to eating, but are great to shoot year round.....Most are on private property unfortunately.

Jack rabbits are available year round in our desert areas.

The one thing you're going to have to get used to living in the OC is driving longer distances.....We all do it.....Hone in on the Imperial Valley.....Still lots of open country, and multiple species to hunt.

San Diego gray squirrel.....

.IMG1098_166.jpg

Last edited:
Al,

There's no gray squirrel hunting in SoCal.....The nearest place would be Kern Co.....And the season coincides with most other fall seasons (Sept-Jan).

Ground squirrels like Bill said are no bueno when it comes to eating, but are great to shoot year round.....Most are on private property unfortunately.

Jack rabbits are available year round in our desert areas.

The one thing you're going to have to get used to living in the OC is driving longer distances.....We all do it.....Hone in on the Imperial Valley.....Still lots of open country, and multiple species to hunt.

San Diego gray squirrel.....

.View attachment 29977

Great that helps, driving is no problem for me nor is a good hike. I was looking for a place to start an now I have one. Thanks again

OK after you get back from your squirrel hunt we can go on a snipe hunt.

OK back to your post,

I'll assume you mean tree squirrel and not ground. Ground are rats and to be treated as such.

1 can't hunt tree squirrels in oc at all, there are no public land ground squirrels in oc to speak of.

2 Practice stalking and moving slow and quiet.

3 I do not eat squirrel, you are on your own

looks already tenderized ready to eat

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu