Stalk in the woods.

Ethical bow range

• Under 20

• 60+ as long as I pray before I aim]lpp

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Took the family for a day camp and found some high spots around some meadows ;)

Sneeked off and found a few stands and spotted 2 groups of does.

Got to 60 yards on one deer. Played the wind right, used terrain and structure to muffle my noise and myself. Was happy with getting in that close.

question.
What's your ethical bow range on a deer? Olease vote and if you choose to then share your thought and insight.

Again sorry for the late pic. I need to get a camera other than my phone. Any suggestions on a rugged and compact one?

And like always. Had a fun time in the woods and learned a few tricks.

Hunt on, fish on
Performace through persistence
#bowhuntordie

.IMG_20180729_210512_923.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This question really can’t be answered. It all depends on the skills of the archer. If you can consistently hit a paper plate at 80 yards then take the shot. Ethically the animal has a lot of time to jump the string at long distances so that can cause problems. If you are shooting and praying you hit and animal then you probably shouldn’t be letting the arrow fly.

Know your limitations.....I don't feel comfortable shooting past 40 yds....In fact, 30 yds is where I want them.

My camera is a 16 mega pixel Canon SX 160 IS, 16x zoom HD....Small enough to carry, but can reach out and still get decent pictures.....Less than 200 bucks....This picture is from close to 400 yds, hand held, into the setting sun Saturday.

.010.JPG

A common rule of thumb that I have been taught is to only take shots at animals half of the maximum distance to what you can consistently (9/10 shots) put in the boiler room. I believe this is the most ethical approach because it helps account for all the human factors that arise when we see, draw back, and put a pin on the animal.

I've known guys who could hit dead on every time at 40 yards on paper but have completely missed boar at 20 yards because of the stress. Until you have put several animals down and have a better understand of your body and mental fortitude I would stick with this rule.

My typically practice is 40 / 60 yards, with the occasional 80 yard outing. I know at 80 my limits are really pushed but my grouping is good enough to take down a deer, so I will not shoot past 40 yards (at least this is why I tell myself over and over and over again).

Common sense is to shoot within your confidence range, not necessarily your comfortability. I can hit a dessert plate consistently at 50 at the archery range but I'm not totally confident in my ability to do that in the field... I'd prefer 30-40. And as others said, it's a different ballgame when you're stalking an animal versus shooting a paper plate... things are unpredictable and nerves can reduce your effectiveness. I posted a few months ago how I put a perfect stalk on a trophy goat but, when it came time to close the deal, the combination of nerves, the animal's movement, sloping terrain, and my uneven balance sent my shot off target. So, like rifle hunting, it pays to get confident with your shooting at unknown ranges (you won't always have time to use a rangefinder and often you're splitting pins), varying terrain, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow all well said and all hit on target. What I have figured out for me, it's much easier to shoot deer from deer stand. Because Deer are not aware you are there and you know the range distances. Stalking is way more difficult as said before ranging is not always possible.

Reactions: ilovesprig
thanks for the reply's guys. looking to drop my first deer this season and trying to hit every question i have before i make my kiil.
i feel like 60 would be my max but would prefer 40-50. i shoot league weekly and hit poway every sunday.
At poway im able to group well at 80 and would have to credit that to my weekly league nights.
i know some may say its just league but with a shooting routine and weekly goal i want to try to eliminate mechanics and leave it to nerves to combat.
i guess well see what all this practice will lead to come this season.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ethical bow range is dependent on many factors and varies drastically from one hunter to another. What makes a shot ethical depends on a few things in my opinion. The main factors at play are skill of the archer, knowledge of animal behavior, your ability to remain calm when an animal is in front of you, and the game animal your hunting. I usually like to take the range that I am consistently hitting at the range and immediately decrease that by 10 yds to compensate for buck fever. It’s important to understand animal behavior and what I mean by that is if I buck has you pegged and is staring you down he’s probably gunna jump the string so you may not wanna take a long shot. And the game animal I’m hunting plays a huge impact on how far I’ll shoot. For example with a turkey I’ve limited myself to 20yds because the vitals are so small that even an inch off could leave the bird running off gobbling. With a deer the vitals are much larger so I feel comfortable taking a slightly longer shot. For me 50 yds is my ethical bow range on a deer. Everyone’s different and in order to find your ethical shot distance you have to factor in these things and determine the range that you feel comfortable letting an arrow fly at an animal. Just remember once you release the arrow you can’t take it back.

Hope this helps,
Josh

These are very good questions and answers. Being at my age and the quality of equipment I have. is a big factor on making the deal when it counts. It reminds me of when I used to play pool in a local tournament. It was tough making the shots that count. Some are better bowman. And one has to under stand their ability and bowmen ship. However that said I really enjoy the art of hunting and trying. And really enjoy the feed back and experience of fellow hunters. That's makes this enjoyable on this board.
Best to all
Longbow

The first deer I ever shot at, I missed at 30 yards with a gun I was shaking so bad. Your body will do some weird things when a deer is that close, especially your first few encounters. The bigger the rack on that deer, the more you'll shake!!!

Just this weekend my partner hunting have a friend than miss a buck 3x3 in laguna at 60 yds , and I have a fork at 62 yds with a doe and fawn and i didnt take the shoot because I dont siht my 60 yds pin yet so I prefer dont shoot. The think 30-40 yds are confort zone 50 I hit without problem but 60 is so easy loose the vitals, liver ,heart, lungs .

Great on getting on them. That was close.
If I may suggest pick up a doe buck grunt call. I am aware it does not work as well on mule deer as on white tails but it's worth a try to get that buck closer. Just don't over call.
Three short bleat or grunts. Just once no more.
Best
Longbow

Im hunt from treestand , spot and stalk in san diego just when is raining or in high winds if even like that you make some noise.

From tree stand or ground blind at a calm (unaware) deer, with no wind and a good accurate range,,,I'd be comfortable with 50-55yds.

Moving deer in same situation I'd like 40, if I could get him to stop. Then the range is a slight guestimate.

Some wind and deer sensing something (nervous) I think 30 is realistic.

With all that in mind, I shoot a single (adjustable) pin, set at 30. Good for anything under 30. At 40 I hold high back. 35, high 1/4 of chest. Past 40 I'm not shooting with out a range and adjusting pin.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu