Stoeger/Benelli Cycling issue

Kbird22

Apr 19, 2020
Anyone own a stoeger or benelli and have issues cycling certain brands of shells? My gun doesn't seem to like kent or hevishot but it likes Super X.

If so please send over some recommendations. Looking to upgrade the shells I use this upcoming duck season. Going to take advantage of the ability to get shells shipped to my front door!!!

The source for that info is in shotgunworld. You will find all types of explanation for all types of issues related to shotguns.

All I shoot is Benelli (M-2 & SBE) and I've never had a recycling issue either....I like Kent shells....Still believe they're the best steel load on the market.

Years ago, I bought 4 Stoeger waterfowl guns for a CWA raffle...All but one had a recycling issue...The large spring in the forearm was the weak link...Tolerances were poor and the workmanship was shabby as well...Part of the Benelli family, but made in I think inTurkey, not Italy.

Reactions: Kbird22
All I shoot is Benelli (M-2 & SBE) and I've never had a recycling issue either....I like Kent shells....Still believe they're the best steel load on the market.

Years ago, I bought 4 Stoeger waterfowl guns for a CWA raffle...All but one had a recycling issue...The large spring in the forearm was the weak link...Tolerances were poor and the workmanship was shabby as well...Part of the Benelli family, but made in I think inTurkey, not Italy.
Yep Steve I usually shoot Kent Fasteel 3" 3s and have never had a cycling issue in my Franchi or Benelli, even with it caked in mud. Federal and Estate have been fine too. The Stoegers are made in Turkey and the Franchis and Benellis are all made in Italy I believe...

whats the gun doing? if its not ejecting the shell take a look at the spring inside the stock that the tongue of the bolt sticks into. it attracts crud like no other in there. Also you can order that spring from wolf and sure cycle. They are worth the change and if your gun is older then it needs it anyways. Benelli uses crap steel springs and they loose their love pretty quick.

do you run your gun wet or dry? I have had better luck running my super 90 wet like an ar15 lol

no soft shoulders. hold that girl tight

I had cycling issues with my 2 new Franchi Affinities in 20 ga. even after shooting 200 rounds through each. The cycling problem occurred mainly with light Trap loads. I sent the guns back east under warranty and after 2 weeks Franchi/Benelli sent them back 99% improved. I have heard of cases where the springs are shortened to correct the issue.

whats the gun doing? if its not ejecting the shell take a look at the spring inside the stock that the tongue of the bolt sticks into. it attracts crud like no other in there. Also you can order that spring from wolf and sure cycle. They are worth the change and if your gun is older then it needs it anyways. Benelli uses crap steel springs and they loose their love pretty quick.

do you run your gun wet or dry? I have had better luck running my super 90 wet like an ar15 lol

no soft shoulders. hold that girl tight

I could be wrong, but I thought the Stoeger has a spring in the forearm...Same as the M-2...I know SBE's are in the stock.

Last edited:
Years ago NBK and I went to Argentina for a couple of week long waterfowl hunts, Prior to that we shot almost every weekend at p2k to insure nothing would leave the decoy spread and got proficient and the guns functioned flawlessely . We got there and began to shoot european ammo and experienced cycle failure like we had never seen. Both NBK and I brought Benneli M-1 super 90s purchased specifically for the trip and I brought a Browning gold 3 1/2, NBK also brought another gun but I don't recall what it was. Bottom line they all failed every day on a regular basis even though we broke them down after each session and scrubbed them better than I do my teeth. After consulting with many folks the only thing we could come up with was it was an environmental problem. No problem in the end I think we put a thousand or so birds on the ground it just took a little longer having to stroke the bolt when it went bad. Poop happens...

I could be wrong, but I thought the Stoeger has a spring in the forearm...Same as the M-2...I know SBE's do.
i duno what gun he has... did he say? same thing goes for the forearm spring. they use crap metal and aftermarket ones work better.

i agree that making a auto loader cycle walmart dove loads to 3.5mag shoulder killers is a hard task. POO happens.. but for the most part with benelli guns its a spring thing. good news is they are not that expensive.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I agree it’s the springs in these guns that can be the issue. Been through it with my OG SBE’s —-the spring in the tube in the stock can be replaced as well as the spring in the forearm tube and it does make a difference.

Reactions: ilovesprig
thanks for all the replies gentlemen. Haven't got back on the site for a little while.
I have a stoeger M3000 ( I was on a budget). I clean it often during the season and apply rem oil.

The problem i have is that with certain shot shells they won't eject properly. They get hung up, almost like they are too long or something. I have checked the extractor and it looks fine. And the spring is around the magazine tube in the forearm of the shotgun.

I read something about that the magazine cap being slightly loose may affect the ejection process but i feel like i always have it on there tight

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu