Stuffin Ducks

Got them skinned out, the second one came out much better, my test subject ripped up but getting the hang of it. The tail is still a bit difficult but found my way around the legs and wings On #2.

D4064A15-32FB-454E-8F99-002CEB1D1141.jpeg

and Frankenduck, going to have to practice my sewing. He’s a good first run though.

242678C6-39AC-4D34-AAD2-A54056338863.jpeg

That’s really cool you’re giving it a try. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes. It would be cool to learn how to skin them just so I can breast them out before I send them to the taxidermist. Then I wouldn’t have to choose between mounting and eating.

It was not to bad if you can resist the urge to pull. Very limited feather loss and since the centers were still frozen no blood or stains really. I haven't decided if I am going to do artificial heads or the original heads. I think the original heads have shrinkage, not sure where though, the bill?

Thanks TrapLine for taking us along on this adventure.

Yeah, the Taxidermy stuff becomes very intriguing when you're in and committed. Kinda rides a line between OCD and "Ah screw it its fine." sometimes.

Yea, I am doing two at a time with one as my test subject, he is all messed up, rips, tears, missing feathers, broken bones but after doing it once really badly on him I usually pick up some technique along the way and #2 coming along nicely. The practice one is still going to go all the way through the process and will most likely end up as a meme on the internet.

You’ve done taxidermy?
Not really. Just fleshed and tanned some hides and then doing the skulls. Hrmm... you know? Now you've reminded of something I could still do now. And that would be build a fleshing board. I ordered a fleshing knife after that last one because it's a P.I.T.A. to flesh'em with regular knives.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu