Suggestions for a new rifle/caliber

parkermann

May 16, 2016
I’m looking to get a new rifle soon. my Budget is about 1000$ for the rifle and probably 1000$for a scope. I’d like a rifle that I can hunt deer and elk with and target shoot.

I was leaning towards a 7mm rem mag. I’m open to other calibers so tell me what caliber you like for deer and elk. I will be shooting handloads so availablility of factory ammo doesn’t really matter.

For rifles I like the tikka t3 lite. It seems like a great hunting gun.

I was also looking at the savage 110 long range hunter although it might be a little heavy for backcountry hunting. I believe it’s just under 9 pounds.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
What kind of distance are you thinking you would like to shoot out to ?
The T3 lite is a pretty good gun. The only week point of it would be the stock, but that is easily fixed.
I have one and played with the bell&carlson on it. A little heavier than the factory stock but a very solid feel to it. Then I put a wildcat synthetic on it. Solid feel to it but cut a little over half a pound from the factory weight.

For Alaska or areas with Grisly, Brown Bear .
7 mm mag may be light.
Every where else i think it's a very accurate round. Good ballistics
Coefficient, density and on.
For long range it's a winner.
But for Calif. It gets a bit heavy to
Lug around unless can handle with no issues.
270 and 6.5 CM are good runner ups. And a little lighter.
So much has to do with personal preference.

Forgot to mention distance. I would like to hunt out to 400 yards. Probably target shoot out a bit further. I do think the t3 with a nice stock would be a good choice. That’s what I’m leaning towards. The gun and a nice stock would probably be right about 1000$ too. I’ll look Into the 300wsm.

Something I read a while back.
Sometimes it has be big game specific. And Snake charmer said it.
It will take both. But A little much for deer. But not really it won't get up.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu