summertime calling...

tanner44

Feb 22, 2014
Had this week off work so i took some evenings and went out calling. 3 days, called in one dog but he hung up at about 200, "little to far for the hoyt" and that was that. This heat wave sure was not helping but cant get them sitting at home. The snakes are out tho!! 36739871_1687068438009403_1050246213997166592_n.jpg36747160_1732380243505240_349888067659628544_n.jpg36832983_1732380250171906_8258234357924233216_n.jpg

Awesome looking snakes but not looking to read a follow up post about a hospital visit.. lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Tanner,

I've read where about 75% of all snake bites are from folks playing with them.....I'm with Jason, a little too close for my liking.
Tanner,

I've read where about 75% of all snake bites are from folks playing with them.....I'm with Jason, a little too close for my liking.

I 100% have respect and know what these snakes can do to people. That being said i hate seeing them dead on the side of the road so when we se them we move them off the road.

Those are some healthy looking snakes. Glad you moved them off the road, and glad you respect them - be careful. The pics might give the impression that they can be taken lightly.

Reactions: tanner44
I noticed that you never take your eye off the snake in that last photo.
With knowledge, respect and skill, you can do almost anything.
As the Daug suggests, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME might be a better title. (for the idiot in all of us)
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: tanner44
When you guys let a snake go back into wild do you ever think that the same snake might bite you some other day or bite some kid or a hunting dog? That is a question I have wrestled with for a while, I myself haven't ran into many snakes down here in the IV but wonder what your thoughts are?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
When you guys let a snake go back into wild do you ever think that the same snake might bite you some other day or bite some kid or a hunting dog? That is a question I have wrestled with for a while, I myself haven't ran into many snakes down here in the IV but wonder what your thoughts are?
My thoughts are: if I see one near a campsite, house etc. I return it to the wild in a different location. If in the outback and it’s on the road, I just move it off the road. I’m not responsible for someone getting bit later, just like I’m not responsible for black widow or tarantula bites if I don’t kill every one I see.

But, I don’t ride a high horse on this. I just happen to be fascinated by reptiles so I am biased. I do hate spiders, and confess I might swerve slightly to get those tarantulas that come out at dusk. As Popeye says, “I yamm what I yamm”

This is the only snake I have taken and it was on my sisters ranch and she wanted it dead. We ate it in a stir fry type of dish, It was awesome. When that thing rattled I swear it could be heard a mile away.

.snake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone clarify for me? I've had people tell me that you need a fishing license to legally take a snake (reptile). Is that true?

Yes there is something in the DFW reqs.
But I never heard of any one being checked.

First year on my ranch I killed a dozen
As Jason calls them buzz worms LOL.
Second and and third year it tapered off.
I have family here. Grand kids. No bueno. So Rattlers die. I do walk a round morning and afternoon.

In the wild in no man's land. I leave them alone. I did research most bites happen because of
Mis handling. Ouch.
So I don't screw with them.
I just take them out.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu