Surgery thursday

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
Not to be confused with taco Tuesday. I'm having total knee replacement Thursday morning. Any words of advice out there? I'm really getting excited.

I have heard recovery is tough, but after that, you feel like the son of superman with the knees of a 2 year old.

It's my hip, not my knee. don't know how hip got replaced with knee. Just posting this, hip kept getting inserted in place of knee?????????????

It's my hip, not my knee. don't know how hip got replaced with knee. Just posting this, hip kept getting inserted in place of knee?????????????
Well either way, recovery is a bitch but totally worth it from what Ive been told by those who have done it. Im only 30 but doc has said both my knees will likely need replacement in the far, but not too far, future. The hip one seems like a more involved recovery but a wonderful feeling afterwards

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Well either way, recovery is a bitch but totally worth it from what Ive been told by those who have done it. Im only 30 but doc has said both my knees will likely need replacement in the far, but not too far, future. The hip one seems like a more involved recovery but a wonderful feeling afterwards
My knee is toasted. I ripped my knee cap off when I was 25 and my doctor said my other knee was toast too from my job. He said to expect knee replacement in my future.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Best of luck! Do you have a good PT lined up? They can make a massive difference. I know a guy who is extremely competent in the UTC area if you are interested. He helped me a ton trying to get my baseball career back on track but my shoulder was just too far gone.

Best of luck! Do you have a good PT lined up? They can make a massive difference. I know a guy who is extremely competent in the UTC area if you are interested. He helped me a ton trying to get my baseball career back on track but my shoulder was just too far gone.
Yes I do. Same one I had for detached rotator cuff surgery. I also have cold therapy machine. I have been told it's a life saver for pain management. Thanks.

Reactions: 180ls1
Yes I do. Same one I had for detached rotator cuff surgery. I also have cold therapy machine. I have been told it's a life saver for pain management. Thanks.

Yeah, it's great for pain but I am not convinced it's totally good for healing. The body floods damaged areas with blood and supporting cells for a reason. Inhibiting that process *can* be detrimental. However, you also need to get quality rest and get the parts moving so if a pain killer/ice helps with that then it's a good thing. There is definitely a ying/yang but too many trainers/pt over ice injuries in my book.

There are a bunch of publicly available NCBI/Pubmed articles on the subject.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Yeah, it's great for pain but I am not convinced it's totally good for healing. The body floods damaged areas with blood and supporting cells for a reason. Inhibiting that process *can* be detrimental. However, you also need to get quality rest and get the parts moving so if a pain killer/ice helps with that then it's a good thing. There is definitely a ying/yang but too many trainers/pt over ice injuries in my book.

There are a bunch of publicly available NCBI/Pubmed articles on the subject.
Thanks for input. much appreciated.

Larry had it done..how bad could it be? Get that hip fixed buddy....Steve Austin..the 6 million dollar man... We can rebuild him** I'm guessin there are a few on this site that have no idea what I'm talking about...damn ..we're old**

Larry had it done..how bad could it be? Get that hip fixed buddy....Steve Austin..the 6 million dollar man... We can rebuild him** I'm guessin there are a few on this site that have no idea what I'm talking about...damn ..we're old**
Better than he was before.... better, faster, stronger. I wish:)

Reactions: HATCHET1
Fun fact for me...I have 2 titanium pins in my right hip from wrestling with a telephone pole at a high rate of speed at age 20...I won't be far behind you on a hip replacement...you got this buddy!

Fun fact for me...I have 2 titanium pins in my right hip from wrestling with a telephone pole at a high rate of speed at age 20...I won't be far behind you on a hip replacement...you got this buddy!
Then you will be better, faster, stronger. If that is possible.

Reactions: HATCHET1
Make sure to post up buddy when the fog clears...let us know you are alright..enjoy the ride on the pharmasudicals after words...drink plenty of fluids to wash that oxy down...that stuff will constipate you.

Ask lots of questions. I accepted the answer, "cookie cutter procedure", 96% success, ect... My new socket shifted a little and it kinda felt like a trailer hitch with the wrong size ball. They had to wait 6-7 weeks to go back in and fix it, warning me healing would be a little slower. Never mind the PT gal put the tape to my legs and the new hip side was 5/8" shorter.
So, find out if they can read a tape measure, and what kind of hardware is to be used. Also, I don't know the proper names of the procedure but are they going in from the front or back side.
I am not trying to be negative or put clouds on what you need to have done,. I honestly hope you have a very successful operation and recovery..
Don.t look at the tools they have set up in the OR. It looks like a woodshop.

Reactions: sportyg
Thanks for input. much appreciated.
My old man had his rotator done, had a cold therapy machine that shot ice water through this cuff thing strapped on his shoulder. Doc also have him something that you strap your arm/leg in to and it moves it slowly up and down to a certain degree angle you set. When used in conjunction, it worked great for him as the pain was being numbed from the cold, and the muscles were getting their movement in at the same time

Ask lots of questions. I accepted the answer, "cookie cutter procedure", 96% success, ect... My new socket shifted a little and it kinda felt like a trailer hitch with the wrong size ball. They had to wait 6-7 weeks to go back in and fix it, warning me healing would be a little slower. Never mind the PT gal put the tape to my legs and the new hip side was 5/8" shorter.
So, find out if they can read a tape measure, and what kind of hardware is to be used. Also, I don't know the proper names of the procedure but are they going in from the front or back side.
I am not trying to be negative or put clouds on what you need to have done,. I honestly hope you have a very successful operation and recovery..
Don.t look at the tools they have set up in the OR. It looks like a woodshop.
Lateral approach, from the side. I asked a lot of question and got what I considered reasonable answers. One I asked was, is it a one size fits all depending on patients size. He said no, they have many sizes in 2 MM increments. Dissolving stitches inside staples outside. I need to ask if I can have old parts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu