Tag Dreams

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Am I the only one that spends a lot of his day dreaming about drawing tags. Getting the random sheep or Tule tag for example. Or my 6% chance of drawing a Kaibab tag this year. All of my strategies are developed pretty much over a year then I apply. My odds are no better than anyone else’s but man what if!
I have a serious problem with big game hunting and it’s only getting worse. My bird dog hates me.

Visions of A ZONE have haunted me for about 41 years now and still do to this day, when i was 12 i think i greased my first buck( when you get old you forget stuff)...you are not alone...Come August 8th...Mr.2 point is gonna take a hot super sonic projectile of copper thru his throat from a 257wbymag...this is what dreams are made of..ahhh ..A zone...

Visions of A ZONE have haunted me for about 41 years now and still do to this day, when i was 12 i think i greased my first buck( when you get old you forget stuff)...you are not alone...Come August 8th...Mr.2 point is gonna take a hot super sonic projectile of copper thru his throat from a 257wbymag...this is what dreams are made of..ahhh ..A zone...

hahahh

Dreams come true... well kinda sorta.

He guys, so if you put in for a sheep tag and got it.. does dfw charge you an additional fee for that tag or is it just whatever the cost was online? Then would you DIY hunt or go all out with outfitter to better the chances on this once in a lifetime tag? Just trying to visualize the dream better.

He guys, so if you put in for a sheep tag and got it.. does dfw charge you an additional fee for that tag or is it just whatever the cost was online? Then would you DIY hunt or go all out with outfitter to better the chances on this once in a lifetime tag? Just trying to visualize the dream better.

You'll have to buy a tag. You won't need to contact a guide because they will be hounding you. No doubt the best way to go to ensure success but with an entire summer to scout and the months long season I would go DIY. I think I'd have a few volunteers that are good hunters and would want to be involved. I'd be happier with shooting the 3rd or 4th best ram in a zone by myself than paying to be put on one for the book.
After packing on weight for the last 2 months a sheep tag is just the motivator I need.

From what I gather if you draw a sheep tag the biologist for the unit will basically put you on the sheep. If you are able bodied and somewhat capable of hunting I don’t think a guide is necessary.

You'll have to buy a tag. You won't need to contact a guide because they will be hounding you. No doubt the best way to go to ensure success but with an entire summer to scout and the months long season I would go DIY. I think I'd have a few volunteers that are good hunters and would want to be involved. I'd be happier with shooting the 3rd or 4th best ram in a zone by myself than paying to be put on one for the book.
After packing on weight for the last 2 months a sheep tag is just the motivator I need.
This is pretty much how I would approach a CA sheep tag as well. Paying for a guide is a great way to go if you want to guarantee success (or at least opportunity) on a “good ram” for whatever unit you are hunting. The allure of shooting a big ram is definitely there but I personally would much rather the experience of doing it myself with a good friend or two to help out when they can. You have a long time to scout, a long season, and the biologists are there to help out with information as well.

Really it depends on what hunt you’re applying for, but most all of them you can for sure do without a guide. I helped on a sheep hunt last year with a 82 year old man that could hardly walk. It was tough but we were able to get him a ram! So if he can get it done without a “professional” guide than you can. Df&w will send you a letter saying you drew if you did and that by this time you have to submit your cash to receive your tag but before you get your tag you have to go to a orientation in Sacramento than they give it to you there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu