Tagged out for CA

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
Well had a good hunt yesterday. We hiked into our spot early in the morning and set up at our usual glassing spot.

As soon as the sun came up we found 6 does feeding. No bucks around, which is strange since historically the rut is in full swing by this time of the month if my area.. so we watched these does for about an hour.

At about 8:00 we spotted a spike fork about 500 yards from them sniffing hard and licking his lips. He was rutting hard headed their way.

He eventually found them and pushed them into the bottom of the canyon.

I thought this was odd there were no bigger bucks around to challenge the small buck.

At 8:45 i was able to glass a decent buck 600 yards above where the other deer went, he was sniffing and lip curling. He then took off in a full sprint to the bottom of the canyon. So we got our gear and ran down to cut him off. We got to the edge of the canyon and spotted the buck chasing the does.

My fiancé got set up on a low hanging tree branch but unfortunately missed the buck. The does took off running and as the buck was about to take off I was able to put a bullet in him. He instantly went down, but still had his head up so I put another one in him. The shooting angle was extreme and made for a tough shot, fortunately I was able to hold steady enough for an off hand shot.

The 143 grain Hammer bullets sure did do some damage. I am sold on these bullets.
a919ac0bfca114a036265a558bcfb7af.jpg

f8b8b1c96f106aa0528e9e661b88e7a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job Garrett. It us a nice buck. And a good story.

Everyone who uses the Hammer bullets rave about the accuracy and the devastation they create ( @MJB ). Copper at its best!

Nice job Garrett. It us a nice buck. And a good story.

Everyone who uses the Hammer bullets rave about the accuracy and the devastation they create ( @MJB ). Copper at its best!

This is the second buck I’ve killed with these bullets. The last one performed just as well. Very accurate, I’ve only tested them to 800 yards, but they shoot 1/2 moa at that distance

Congrats. Steve from Hammer swears by those fast flying 143s and he uses them for everything. I can see why. I am loading the 155s in my 280.
So far so good with the hammers on game for me. I shot a grapefruit size group at 1k last year with the 124s in my 260rem. I put the rifle away for the day after that.

Reactions: TaftHunter
Nice job Garrett.
Must have been pretty close to the target. I used the same bullet in a 7-08 last year. 435 yard shot, didn’t look like that.

Right around 280 yards. I am pushing them 3060 FPS. What were you getting the 7-08?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu