Teaser

Nice buck. I did see any deer all weekend up there. I stayed around the poppet flats area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you luck Shannon! I can’t tell you where to go but I can tell you some things to do that will, in my opinion, increase your chances of success on public land in any zone in Southern California. You need to get away from people and areas that are getting trampled every weekend by hunters. To give you an idea: I left my truck at 540 (which in my opinion was a little late), and hiked 2.5 miles to my glassing spot. The buck I found on Saturday morning was 1-1.5 miles as the crow flies and about 3 miles by foot from me (so a total of 5.5-6 miles from the truck). This was the only deer I saw on the opener. Pick a hill to sit on and glass, glass, glass. Buy the best optics you can afford and use them. Every year people get lucky road hunting or shooting something close to the truck. That’s great and it’s nice to take advantage of those opportunities when they come but in my opinion it’s not going to fill tags consistently. If you have any questions about tactics or equipment or deer behavior feel free to ask!

It was my first time hunting D19 so was not sure where to go. I figured it would be packed closer to the top with hunters so I tried lower. In the mornings I would get up on the the top and glass the game trails and tree lines. But durning the day I would drive around looking in all the tree lines. Then again in the evening I would post up again where I seen a lot of tracks at while driving. We usually hunt D12 but I haven’t been getting drawn lately. But D14 opens this weekend so I will be out there. Thanks for the reply and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you luck Shannon! I can’t tell you where to go but I can tell you some things to do that will, in my opinion, increase your chances of success on public land in any zone in Southern California. You need to get away from people and areas that are getting trampled every weekend by hunters. To give you an idea: I left my truck at 540 (which in my opinion was a little late), and hiked 2.5 miles to my glassing spot. The buck I found on Saturday morning was 1-1.5 miles as the crow flies and about 3 miles by foot from me (so a total of 5.5-6 miles from the truck). This was the only deer I saw on the opener. Pick a hill to sit on and glass, glass, glass. Buy the best optics you can afford and use them. Every year people get lucky road hunting or shooting something close to the truck. That’s great and it’s nice to take advantage of those opportunities when they come but in my opinion it’s not going to fill tags consistently. If you have any questions about tactics or equipment or deer behavior feel free to ask!
Hell of write up and hike.
Did you debone it.
Good hike out
Best
LB

Reactions: shannonford1975

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu